Thursday, July 17, 2008

High School Reunion approaches

I have been looking around on the internet a little about other post-op / post-transition transsexuals that might have attended their high school reunions. Donna Rose has a little bit and I chatted with JoanB a little about her high school reunion a few years ago.

My mom offered to go with me as a chaperon in case anything happens, but I think we’re all adult enough to remain civilized through a night, I hope. We also have at least one classmate that is a cop, so he’ll hopefully be able to keep the peace (if he is there). And, from what I have heard from other cops, they see it all, so nothing should be a shock to him. I also have a few friends from high school that have expressed their support via online conversations...so I tend to feel OK about this coming weekend.

JoanB had some good advice for me over the past few weeks. When I got an email from our reunion organizers about our senior pictures on the name tag, I took her advice and asked that only my name be listed, and not my old picture. I’ve come out to a number of them over the past few years, and I know the reunion committee must know since it was an obvious topic. Also, when I helped track down a few classmates, I came out to them once I found them. Yes, there will obviously be some surprises, but I hope most of them will see how much happier I am now.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I hope it went well for you Kara. I didn't have the courage to go to my 20 year back in June. It was a huge school and rather impersonal. I didn't have many friends so going just never seemed like a good thing for me.