Thursday, June 25, 2009

Prodigal Sons

It's Pride week in San Francisco, and with it comes the Frameline film festival. I went to And Then Came Lola this past Friday with some lesbian friends, and Prodigal Sons last night with Carissa.

Lola was a cute little movie based on a European film I have never seen, entitled "Run Lola, Run". While it kept me mildly entertained, it also lacked a bit of cohesiveness. It did have a lot of good music intertwined throughout the pedestrian chaos.

Last night, though, was Prodigal Sons, a documentary by a transwoman and her family. This movie was listed as a centerpiece of the film festival, and I can see why. The movie was well edited, had good music, nice transitions (not transsexual transitions), and kept me on the edge of my seat a number of times as I wondered what was going to happen next.

In the same sense as Red Without Blue, this movie was less about someone transitioning, but more about how their transition affected their lives. That's kinda how it should be...where the transsexual part of it just adds depth to a character and is not the end-all be-all of the story.

It's too bad that the Lola movie was packed (there were so many lesbians that I actually used the guy's bathroom since the women's line was way too long) while Prodigal Sons still had a number of available seats. Actually, I hardly noticed many trans people in the audience at all at Prodigal Sons. Of course, I'm not attending the variety of trans-shows tonight, so hopefully there is more of a presence there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prodigal Sons sounds intriguing! Thanks for writing about it, or I never would have heard of it.

I will certainly look it up.

Mare said...

The European film you are referring to is the German 'Lola Rennt' - very good in its original version.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0130827/