Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Childhood memories

I visited my parents' place over Mother's Day weekend earlier this spring. I normally stay in a room on the second floor, but since my dad moved some of his office stuff into that room, I stayed in another. And, thus, I saw something that I hadn't seen in a very long time.

In the twilight of time between then and tomorrow, the small stool caught the soft hue of nearby light. The legs, four pillars of foundation, still stood willing and ready for the weight of a young child's imagination. I knelt down, knowing that while it may not hold my physical weight, it would still support the dreams and aspirations of a lost adolescent. I cried.

My childhood name was written across the top of that stool.

I don't know if it was the emotion of seeing something I cherished from my half bottled-up youth, or if it was a nod to the time spent alone as a kid while sitting on that stool pondering the reasons why my body didn't match who I thought I was. While I remember many of the toys and items I had as a child, I have realized I cherished the ones where gender didn't matter.

My sister had the Barbies and stuffed animals, along with makeup and a small toy house. I had the Matchbox cars, the Shogun Warriors, and a number of other boy items. We both had sporting equipment, along with watercolor posters made by our mom that had our names and other things that started with the same letter. Mine was K, her's was L.

We both had kites that we flew when the wind was swift enough to keep our dreams afloat. In the winter, we had sleds that let us slide along on journeys we'd never taken. And when we could, we both rode our bikes wherever our little legs could take us.

My sister and I had Christmas stockings with our names labeled across the top. We both received similar ornaments from our grandmother, mine often resembling a boy's toy, but not always.

My sister and I shared a collection of 45's that we played on our little record player. We both loved the song "YMCA".

And my sister and I both had stools with our names on them. I remember her's breaking at some point, which we fixed, but if I'm not mistaken, mine weathered the years quite well. Sure, it still shows its age, but it has remained sturdy throughout the years.

I've broken down crying while writing this entry tonight...an amazing four months later...in shear awe of the power of emotion I felt that night. And I'm not sure if the tears are good or bad, whether I'm crying from the memories of a happy, yet unfulfilled childhood, or if it's the sight of something dear to my heart that interlaced that childhood with the power to keep that little girl inside me alive.

Perhaps this weekend I shall fly a kite and see.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Thank you for sharing this Kara as I imagine it was pretty difficult. Every year at Christmas, I still put up a little red wagon ornament that has Greg written on it. My Mom and Dad gave that to me when I was six or seven years old.

Each year I say this will be the last time I do this but when Christmas rolls around, I always hang it right back up.

I also keep a picture of me in my living room. It was taken when I was just a baby and it's always been one of my very favorites. Sometimes, I find myself standing in front of my entertainment center just staring at it and tears will just flow.

I too mourn for a lost adolescence and I wonder if how things have turned out would make that little boy happy or sad or even proud.

I do these things not to torture myself or for any other dark reason, but because I am so grateful to that little boy for getting me through so many difficult years. I'm alive today because that little boy loved life so much and for that I am ever grateful.

I make pains never to deny my former self and I know that you feel the same way. Peace to you tonight.

Jessica Lyn said...

Beautifully written post, Kara! I didn't know you had a sister.. sometimes I wish I did.. I feel a sister would take "my news" better than my brother will.

I had GIJoe and He-Man's toys as a kid.. but that doesn't mean I made them fight or play war or whatever.. instead I would play with Lady Jane or some other girl action figure and play house or something. Or if I was playing with my brother I would just always be sure to have the girl action figures on my team which he didn't seam to mind.

Jessica Lyn said...

You are lacking in your posts my dear!

Just a friendly reminder that there are some people love to read your blog posts!

(Hugs)

Kara said...

Thanks for your responses Kelly and Jessica.

@Kelly - I do not deny my journey, but certain portions of it seem more private and personal. I also like to think that there is still a journey ahead, and it's nice to focus on it more than dwell too much on the past.

@Jessica - I enjoy writing, trust me, but sometimes I just don't have too many topics that fit my blog here, or in many cases, I have too many other things going on.

I have a list of topics that I need to write about, but I'm flying out to China again tomorrow...and they restrict access to Blogger, so I won't be able to post while I'm over there.

Jessica Lyn said...

No problem sweetie.. I was only trying to give you a very light and swift kick in the ass!! lol

Have fun in China!

(Hugs)