Friday, February 18, 2011

Schlepping

When I told my parents that I would be traveling to Israel for work, they both expressed the concern that any parent would express when they think their child is headed into an unsafe environment.

"It's OK. I'll be working with my colleagues there and we'll be in the northern part of Israel...away from the terrorist areas. That, and the Egypt stuff is pretty much limited to Egypt right now."

I was pretty cautious about going to Israel, though. I mean, when you see news about Israel, it's not typically good news.

When people at work asked if I was going to have time to see the area, though, I said that I really had no need to look around. Even though Israel is full of very old historical sights, I'm not religious and had absolutely no desire to see anything.

"You'll be fine, Kara."

"It's OK. I'd rather not."

A lot of my coworkers couldn't understand why I wouldn't want to get out and see the sights, and it's not really something I can chat with them about, because besides not being religious, I was simply worried about my safety.

I'm a transsexual.

Not everyone is fond of transsexuals.

On my first full day in Israel, we had a group meeting to go over previous details and evaluate some of the progress they had made there. We were introduced to a new member of the team who had written some simulation software for the program. Once our formal meeting was over, we were all introduced to him. He wore older Jewish attire and had his hair and facial hair long. He looked like a combination of a priest and an Amish man. Like the men in our group, I stuck my hand out to shake hands with him, but he simply kept his hand by his side and shook his head.

"Uhh..OK."

"It's not you, Kara, he just can't touch a woman other than his wife...it's part of his religion."

I really don't understand religion...nor the amazing things people do for it. I marvel at how advanced our society has become, but shake my head sometimes with how archaic we can still be. Fortunately, I was there in Israel for science, not religion. I spent the week working with colleagues on our new technology. It went well, but they still did not understand why I didn't want to get out.

They thought I was afraid. I was...they just didn't understand why.

I flew in on Saturday and rode the train with a coworker to where we needed to be. We were able to get out at night during the week and grab a bite to eat at a number of interesting restaurants, including one which had a view of the coast up to Lebanon (which was indicated by "where the lights went out"). On my last day there, one of my local colleagues brought back falafel for lunch, which I actually enjoyed the most out of all the meals I had there. So, chalk at least one win up for the culinary delights.

After wrapping business up for the week, I caught a taxi to the train station in order to get back to the airport and fly home, to catch BART, to catch a taxi to my apartment. Planes, trains, and automobiles.

The same coworkers that said I would be safe in Israel and should get out to see the sights also warned me that I might see people walking around with machine guns. I figured if I saw any people with machine guns they would be at strategic entrances to certain buildings or something.

I did not expect them to be riding across the aisle from me on the train, nor did I expect them to be so young.

When I got to the airport Thursday evening, I went through Israeli security. Surprisingly, they do not require you to take off your shoes, but they do require about everything else...and I mean everything.

When I went to check in my bag, the security personnel there interviewed the crap out of me. They also wanted the special letter by any Israeli people that I had been working with. Once through that, the bag I was checking in was scanned. They didn't like a number of things in it, so I was pulled to the side while they went through the contents. Now, I took along my dilator because I thought I might have to go to China directly from Israel, and worried about my time without dilation. And, of course, they found the dilator tucked away in my bag, along with a tube of Surgilube. I just had to smile...because, really, it was kinda amusing to me.

They also found a can of Coke that I had stashed away in my bag. Israeli Coke is made from real sugar, and I figured I'd bring back a few as souvenirs. The inspector didn't like the one can of Coke she found in the main part of my bag, though. The woman in charge sent one of her assistants off to wrap the can of Coke in bubble wrap and put it in its own cardboard box. I told the inspector that there were two more cans of Coke in my bag. I even pointed to them. She wasn't concerned with the other two cans, though, but simply with the one can that she pulled out. And, thus, it was packaged in it's own box and sent through with the other checked baggage.

I'll probably never understand why that one can of Coke had to be packaged by itself, nor will my coworkers likely understand why I had no desire to see any of the sights there, but we each have our reasons to secure the important things in our lives.

4 comments:

Jessica Lyn said...

First off, its about time you made a new post!

Second, I don't think anyone would have clocked you for trans if you went out and about.. you're a beautiful woman now, ok?

Third, I know post-op trans need to will need to always dilate but I thought one could go for a long period of time between dilation after the first couple of years?

Anonymous said...

I haven't been to church except for weddings and funerals for 25 or 30 years and I'd go see the sites. If for no other reason than the history. I'm not Catholic but I'd go to see the Vatican. I'm not French but I'd see the sites there.

Perhaps if you didn't let your apparent hatred,(sorry if that's too strong a word), of religion get in the way you would be able to understand why people have strong religious convictions.

Kara said...

"Hatred" is a pretty strong word there Anonymous.

I really didn't have too much free time at night as I usually either went out to dinner with my coworkers or with the group. Consider I was also plagued with jet lag, so I was pretty tired by the time I made it back to my hotel room.

Either way, though, can't my choice to not see the sites be respected? I made a promise to my parents that I would be safe, so I chose not to take any chances. And, trust me, I understand that people have strong religious convictions, but I also understand some of the downside of religion.

My high school senior report in English was on Wars and Religion. The Vatican gets this huge reputation, but they were the cause of so much death in the past. I know religion is good for many, but it has also caused harm, and still causes harm when people misinterpret the purpose of religion.

Listen, if I were in Canton, Ohio, I'd visit the Football Hall of Fame...but not everyone would want to because not everyone is into football. In fact, some people might not even be into Ohio...and might not want to get out and see the sites.

Anyway, Jessica...you can go some time without dilation, but the longer one waits, the more uncomfortable it can be the next time one does it.

Josie Kat said...

I haven't been to Israel, although I have recently had reason to travel to Italy a few times both with my partner and also on my own for work.

It's hard to put in words, however suffice to say I have at times felt uncomfortable in certain places and I can understand your concern. Whether or not you subscribe to religion is not really the issue. It's what the small minority of people who sometimes for whatever reason, take some of the meanings in religion a little further than perhaps they were intended, you have to be cautious off. Thankfully they are few and far between and my fears of being outed as T (unlikely as that may be) are actually overshadowed by my concerns over the attention being lesbian attracts these days, as this definitely causes more unwanted attention both in Italy and here in the UK if you let it.

My overall experience is generally that they are far more good people than bad out there, but at the end of the day caution is always the better part of valour.