Sunday, January 11, 2004

5th grade science projects

I handed a “coming out” letter to Coworker G as he was leaving Friday, and dropped another one off to Pete just after work. Pete called today and he seemed fairly supportive. He had a ton of the usual questions though, which I light-heartedly answered. I tried to keep a comfortable attitude about the entire thing, and provided a little humor while still being fairly serious.

Robi wrote me a letter and handed it to me at my cube on Friday. I thought I would post it since it is my first letter and written response at work:

K.../Kara,

So, I think I am finally over the initial shock of your news! Mostly, at least. It was completely unexpected, even for a jaded, crusty kid like me.

I did want to make sure that I told you that I think it’s fantastic that you have decided to make your transition. A lot of people have a hard time being themselves because it’s hard to put your real self out there and risk rejection from others. That’s why I admire your courage - because you’re putting yourself out there, even if the real you might be difficult for others to accept. Not to mention all the physical discomfort/pain and financial expense involved...

So, even though I know that you’re pretty much the same person you were last week, there’s a part of me that sees you very differently now - in a good way. Before, I just thought you were this insensitive dude who would make inappropriate comments about me in front of our vendor! Ha Ha - Just kidding. :) (I think she’s only half kidding - Kara)

I also want you to know that even though we are just “work-friends,” I’d be happy to talk to you about stuff or offer any support you need. I know it’s difficult to become a woman!

Anyway, if I don’t get a chance to talk to you before you have your meeting with HR on Monday...Good Luck! - Robi


Which brings up tomorrow. I have my face-to-face meeting with HR at 10am tomorrow morning. I’m a little nervous, but also excited. Every time I come out to a person, I feel this enormous weight and burden lifted off of me. I finally don’t have to lie to people.

This past Saturday I ate an orange for breakfast over at Brooke's. I also took the Spiro and Premarin as usual. Once I was over at my electro, I took the usual pain pill. Whew, somehow that combination turned my stomach into one of those volcanoes you see at science fairs. I don’t know if it was the combination of the pain killer and the orange or what, but wow. I wasn’t feeling that good for the rest of the morning and well into the afternoon.

After electro, I managed to get up to San Francisco to pick up the TGSF mail and talk Claire into catching lunch...hoping that my stomach could take it. Luckily, it did OK, and after a little food, I was feeling much better again....until I found a parking ticket on my car when we returned. I swear, we weren’t gone an hour, and the officer must have been perched there when the freaking meter ran out...if that was even the case. Jeez...and on a Saturday as well. Just my luck.

Anyway, we did a little shopping down at Nordstrom’s Rack where I found a few items to compliment my Cotillion outfits as well as a few clothes for my new work wardrobe. I also did a ton of shopping today picking out new work clothes. I spent over $400 at Express and that included a gift card from my cousin and a 15% discount for opening up an Express Card. I think it would have normally been well over $500. I also spent almost $200 at Victoria’s Secret. They have their huge bra and panty sale right now, but I was only able to find 2 bras in the sale bins that I liked. Finally, I stopped by the Gap and found some nice casual tops. I went by the Limited, but figure I’ll go back there after dropping by Ross to see what they have. My therapist suggested buying all of my work clothes at Ross for the first few months, then buying the good stuff after that. I thought I would buy the stuff I liked first, then supplement it with stuff at Ross.

Anyway, last night after getting back from shopping and taking the dog outside, I found an email from an internet TS friend about 10 minutes after she sent it. I read her 6:30pm email at 6:41. In the letter, she was saying goodbye and that she was going to kill herself. That’s not acceptable to me. I tried calling her, but there was no response. I didn’t know her real name, so after listening to the message on her voicemail again, I was able to obtain it. I looked up her area police number since I knew the general area she lived in, and called them at 6:55pm. I explained the situation and gave them her cell phone number, and they were able to find her in one of the local communities. The dispatcher was able to call that city’s police and have them send a car over. They made it there pretty fast as my friend later told me. I called the dispatcher at 7:35pm, about 40 minutes after the initial call, and he said that the police had made contact and were talking with her. He later called me at 8:45pm to say that my friend and her mom were willingly headed to a clinic to work things out. Whew! I was so worried that she was going to kill herself. Doing so may alleviate one problem, but it creates so many more.

On a lighter note, last week, two male coworkers that have recently moved into cubes near me started up a conversation about Garbage Pail Kids or Cabbage Patch Kids...one or the other. I said they must be of a slightly different generation since I barely remembered them. They said they were around 27-28 and then asked how old I was. I said I was 33 and one of them seemed to be pretty shocked. He thought I was younger than them. Hmmm...the hormones must be doing their magic...or perhaps I am just that immature...or maybe he needs glasses....who knows. :P

No comments: