Saturday, May 14, 2005

This one time...at the laser hair removal place

Every time I seem to go to the laser hair removal place, I always end up with a good story. Yes, I was having a little more annoying body hair lasered away. I think this will be my last trip for laser as I move to have the remaining stuff zapped with electrolysis.

Anyway, my technician this time, who happened to have the same name I used to have, was going through the paperwork before we started. She asked me if I had changed any of my meds. I told her that they were all the same except I wasn’t taking spironolactone anymore.

“What is that stuff for?”

“It’s used to block testosterone.”

“Why are you taking that? Is that why you’re here...did hair start growing when you stopped taking it?”

“I’m transgender. After I had surgery, I didn’t have to take it anymore.”

“Ahhhh...I would have never guessed you were transgender.”

After we got started, she asked a few questions about the transgender stuff. She also mentioned that her son crossdressed....and was autistic. She was cool with his crossdressing, though, and even taught him how to order stuff off the internet.

A little while later, she commented, “You know, you could have kept your name.”

“I seriously thought about it, but my roomie’s dog convinced me otherwise. His dog’s name is Scooby...but Scooby is a girl. I tell people that Scooby is a girl dog, but they still end up calling her a ‘he’ because people are used to Scooby being a boy’s name. For my situation, people still would have thought of me as ‘he’. So, Scooby helped me realize I needed to change my name.

“Yeah, he sure did.”

“Ummm....see, Scooby is a girl.”

“Oh yeah...wow...I see your point.”

Later into the session, after I told her about FFS and SRS, she asked me if I planned on having breast augmentation. I told her I was seriously thinking about it and have a consult planned for next month.

She surprised me by saying she just had hers done two weeks ago...and loved them. She wished she had gotten them a lot sooner. (Hmmm...that seems to be a reoccurring theme lately.)

After we had finished our session and I was paying the bill, she was conversing with the receptionist who thought we still hadn’t started.

“No, he’s already done.”

Uugghhhh....I hate being called ‘he’ after she initially had no idea that I was even transgender. I see why some people end up going stealth. It’s just a pain in the butt when people who wouldn’t even know the difference end up wiring their brain to see me as male instead of female...only because I’ve told them. Yeah, yeah...she was very supportive, but she still ended up seeing me as male instead of female.

No comments: