Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Everyone was so tall

[Every time I've tried to log in to write and post this, blogspot was down...thus the post dated blog entry.]

The GLAAD Media Awards were held in San Francisco this past Saturday night. This was my first time attending such an event with a variety of stars. The screechy woman from Will and Grace was one of the hosts, Carson from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (they need a Queer Eye for the T Girl...seriously) popped in a few times, Jennifer Tilly received an award and hung out at the after party, and I even sat near Julie Newmar's table...and got a picture with her afterward (I'll put the picture up soon). One thing I noticed during the evening, though, was that there were a lot of tall people there. I think the lesbians, on average, were taller than the transsexual women.

Besides the 'stars', there were even a few T-stars, as well. Calpernia Addams presented one of the awards, and Andrea James, her business partner, accompanied her to San Francisco from Southern California. I hung out on a table hosted by a local T-woman who has been involved with GLAAD lately. Fortunately for myself and the rest of the people at the table, she bumped us up a notch so that we got VIP goodie bags and invites to the VIP after-party.

As the ceremony was closing, I said hi to Andrea and Calpernia. Most of my friends have met the two in the past, either with V-Day in 2004 or other activities related to it, but I never have. (I was laid up in Cocoon in case one hasn't been following along.)

Although there were numerous 'stars' there, I think Andrea was the biggest star to me. She has provided a lot of information on her website (www.tsroadmap.com)...information I have read over the years. I remember reading a lot of her stuff early on, which I think is valuable for anyone considering transition to at least scan over. There is so much that she (and others thru their own contributions) provide as insight from the other side. It's always good to get many perspectives on transition and take away the information you need.

At the VIP party, Carson and Jennifer hung out, as well as Esera Tuaolo, an ex-NFLer who came out as gay a few years ago. He started dancing near me, so I shook his hand and whispered to him that most of the women's sports (I've played) were basically the opposite...with most of the women assumed to be gay..and that the straight girls took most of the friendly banter from the gay girls.

The VIP party started wrapping up around midnight, so I said my good-byes and made my way home. I had to be up early the next morning for a game, then off to Jana's for another round of pictures. I made it to Santa Cruz by early afternoon, and had my clothes off for the pictures soon after. Yup, we took another round of nudes for Transfigurations: The Making of a Woman. She is likely to premiere the women's nude pictures in San Francisco in July, but wasn't sure if she could get this latest round in or not.

After the pictures, I wasn't feeling that well (something that had been hitting me on and off the past few days), so I drove home instead of dealing with the possibility of worlds colliding at San Jose's Pride...which shall have to wait until San Francisco's Pride later this month.

No comments: