Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Getting older

This past Saturday was my birthday. I know, I know...happy birthday. Thanks in advance. A few months ago I realized that I missed out on celebrating a milestone last year. You see, as we age, there are those big numbers that stand out that make us eligible for different circumstances. At 16, I was able to drive...18, to vote...and 21 to legally buy alcohol and consume it. The night I turned 21, I went to the grocery store and bought some beer for my roommates (who were all over 21) just because I could. I don't even remember if they carded me or not. Most people look on those ages as the big events. After 21, they are pretty much all less dramatic.

At 25, though, car insurance goes down. Thirty is just a nasty age. I think it's an age that a lot of youth look at as a measure of their dreams. I want to have this much money by the time I'm 30, or be married and have this many kids, or have accomplished this or that. It's an age a lot of us have (or had) expectations for. Thirty was hard for me. I wasn't who I thought I should be.

After that, it all goes down hill. At 59.5, I can withdraw from 401k without penalty...well, until they raise the age limit, that is. I'm sure there are a bunch of other privileges that come with age, but I'm not even close to that at this time...so I haven't really looked into it.

The one I missed last year, though, is at 35. What happens at 35 one might wonder? Well, I can now be President of the United States. Yup. Vote for Kara in 2008! I'm gonna make Al Gore my vice. Sweet, huh? Or maybe Arnold...who knows.

In all seriousness, though, I treated it like pretty much any other day. I went to practice, ate lunch with some teammates, chilled at home, then chatted with some visitors from out of town...one of which had recently had surgery.

One thing I realized lately, though, is that I wonder if part of me is trying to live a part of life I missed growing up. Have I been taking classes to try to relive part of my college days...as a girl? I decided to take another class this fall. It's sort of a creative writing class, so I get to test out my skills with someone who will be judging what I write. I'm betting there will also be some interaction with classmates outside of class, which could be kinda cool.

My birthday is also close to marking two years left until paying off my 401k loan for FFS. Once SRS is paid off, I'll either look at a new car, or the possibility of paying FFS off a little sooner. I'll have to reasses that when I've finished it off. Depending on bonuses this summer, it's still likely another year before I have to decide.

OK, so the good news for today, is that my mom just called and told me her test results came back. They say she is in total remission from the lymphoma. Awesome! That's the best birthday present I think I've had in a very long time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy birthday, your now officially 36! how did you pay off srs and stuff seems like a hefty bill. (i thought my cell phone bill was high)

Anonymous said...

what did you get for your birthday?

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Kara,
you are my inspiration.
Stay well and happy,
cheers.

Steve Piercy said...

Happy Birthday! I'm on the other side of 30, but not as filled with dread as I thought i'd be. I think there's a certain 'credibility' comes with age. A fresh-faced 20-something just can't cut it in certain business worlds!

Anyway... you're still fresh-faced and the other side of 30, so that's a bonus!

Great news about your mother going into remission too.

Kara said...

Shakira....let's see....for FFS, I borrowed about 32K from my 401k, and cashed out some stocks/mutual funds that I had. The loan from my 401k was around 2-3% for 5 years, which was way better than any bank was going to offer me. In fact, the bank wanted it all back in less than 2 years at well over 6%. They denied my application for the loan when I went to see them.

For SRS, I received a great credit card offer from my insurance company. They offered 2.9% interest on any purchase up to $18K until January 31, 2005. I put all of SRS on it, and have been trying to pay back $500 per month. I'm a little over halfway on paying it off. I also cashed out some company stock that I had.

Surprisingly enough, I only got cash for my birthday. How fitting, huh?

Steve...so true. We recently hired an intern for our group at work. When we interviewed some of the college student, I couldn't believe how bad they handled the situation. Of course, I jointly interviewed them with my own manager who asked some of the worst questions. I, on the other hand, tried to get a grasp of their thinking process by having them talk about any project they worked on from beginning to end. It really allowed them to open up and talk about items they knew...rather than asking them why they wanted to work for us or where they would be in five years.

Kathy...I'm so with ya. Instead of an Easy Button, they need a Reset Button. Of course, they need a 'Gimme the Right Frickin Body' Button while they are at it.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Kara!!!
I'll vote for you for president :)
-Tiffany