Monday, September 11, 2006

Carried away

I shouldn't have gone. We weren't doing that well with both fielding and hitting, though, so I was trying to play aggressive. I was on first base and the guy behind me laced a shot to right field. I rounded second just to give them a look, and the right-center fielder threw the ball to third. He was way off and the third baseman ran to the fence to retrieve the ball...leaving third base uncovered.

The third base coach yelled for me to go. I took off for third at the same time the pitcher decided to, as well. He was slightly ahead of me, and with the play being fairly close, I tried to slide. Unfortunately, with the pitcher basically in the way, my slide was more to the side...catching my knee on the ground with my ankle twisted underneath me.

It hurt. I could barely move my left leg below my knee, and I had no idea where I was really hurt. All I knew is that it hurt. I sat there for a few moments as a few teammates rushed to see if I was ok. The coach helped me up...telling me to put all my weight on him. He and another of the girls was going to help me walk off the field, but the coach asked if he could carry me. He's not the leanest guy around, but he's built pretty solid...and been a pretty cool guy to me. I think he really loves to have me on the team since I can play fairly well and hit the ball pretty solid.

I was in pain, but in the back of my head somewhere, being carried off by a man...hmmm...does it get any better than that? He put his arm underneath my arm and back, then gently, but firmly, placed his other arm under my knees and picked me up. "I'm not the most lightweight person," I said as he carried me off the field. At 140 pounds (63.5kg), I'm not huge, but not 'light' for my height.

He softly placed me down on the stands outside the dugout. I sat there for a while watching the rest of the game deteriorate, then decided to head home to get some ice on my ankle.

Today, I'm sitting at work with an ice pack on my ankle, rotating ice on and off for the first 24-48 hours. It's not broken (that I can tell), but it sure is sore to move around...and will likely keep me immobilized for a while.

I'll likely treasure being carried off the field as I was, though, for a long time to come.

...and, oh, by the way, I was safe at third. =)

1 comment:

Landon Shaw said...

Dear Kara,

I am so sorry to hear about your injury and hope that everything heals the way it should. I also have to say that I love your site. I am a T-Girl myself and I am in the midst of transition. I have an amazing partner that is supporting me every step of the way. I would love to stay in contact and maybe someday become friends. You can visit my blog at www.bailey14.blogspot.com. Feel free to add me to your links also. Thanks again! Talk to you soon. Bri!