Monday, December 18, 2006

Running

While watching the local morning news, they ran a story about an international runner being stripped of her silver medal in the 800m run at the Asian Games.

In the picture in that link, you'll notice that she does has a brow ridge and a slight Adam's Apple. (Here's another picture after the race of note.) From reading the article, though, it sounds like she does not have male genetalia nor has she had a sex change...but simply that she has chromosomal abnormalities. One of the most ridiculous lines in that article is "The official also said the test revealed more Y chromosomes than allowed." I wonder how many they do allow? I mean, come on, men only have one Y chromosome. Genetic women have zero.

Is she XXY or some variant of? Or could she be XY? Who knows but those that performed the genetic testing.

I wonder how many genetic women out there do not have the standard XX pair of chromosomes. Is that what defines us as male or female?

It's too bad that she is likely being stripped of her medal. This isn't the Olympic games, but I wonder what type of ruling the IOC would have made since they do allow transsexuals to compete. This is, in fact, the Asian Games, so it appears the ruling is not so beneficial.

1 comment:

Kara said...

Exactly. I think there are more intersex people out there than most people estimate. A lot of them don't know they are, and just aren't prepared for that.

Of course, I wonder if they ever find any TS indicators such that a doctor would tell a patient they were TS. I mean, it took me some 30 years for self acceptance and realization of what I needed to do...yet, I wonder what would have happened if someone had reached out to me so long ago.

Anyway, I wonder if intersex people (or perhaps people born with chromosomes other than the typical XX or XY configuration) ever feel something is wrong.

...and thus, I am surprised that the Asian games still test for gender. I also wonder how the athlete is handling her new news.