Monday, March 19, 2007

Visited with the good doctor

I had a consult with Dr. O this past Friday. I went in to see him for a jaw line revision consultation. There is a portion of my right jaw line around 20mm long that is not even with the rest of it. I would say that at it's max, it is about 3-5mm lower than the rest of it. My left jaw line looks really good and I see no issues there.

After a short cordial conversation, we talked about the revision. Due to the tools, he'd basically have to have a large incision to get the saw back in there and try to guide it along the bone. He'd have to go by feel and not be able to line it up exactly. He also said that the grinder would not work there. I also have a small recession near the area where he put my chin back together. Again, this falls on my right side and not on my left.

In the end, he wondered if I needed it. I'm not sure either. The reason I went to see him is that I'm looking at a lower face lift. When the skin is pulled tighter, will the jaw deformation be more noticeable? If it were only one deformation, they wouldn't be as noticeable, but since they kinda flow into one another, they make that jawline look worse.

After discussing this issue with him further, he said the extra portion sticking out would be much easier than filling in the small area, and that he would likely not be able to do both at the same time. The best option, it appears, is have him attempt to take off the extra bone.

OK, so, yes, I'm looking at the lower facelift. I'm considering it because of the initial FFS three years ago. With so much bone taken out of the jaw and chin, I have extra skin that had nowhere to go. I'd just like to pull that portion tighter to make up for the bone that was taken away.

The other issue here is that I'd also like to get hair transplants along my frontal FFS incision and the temple recessions. After discussing the facelift with Dr. Meltzer, he prefers the hair transplants be done after a facelift.

So, the order that is preferred: Jaw bone work --> Facelift --> Hair transplants.

The jaw work isn't too expensive since it is a revision, but the other two will probably be between $6-8,000 each. Ouch. And while I'd mainly like the hair transplants, it looks like for best success, they should be last on the list.

I'll likely ponder the jaw work a little longer before trying to schedule the face lift. I'm still debating whether or not to consult with another plastic surgeon, or go with Dr. Meltzer since he is pretty decent at them, has worked on a number of post-Dr. O patients, and is very T friendly.

Decisions, decisions...but, of course, the monetary constrictions will probably limit me the most on having them done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Kara, ever the perfectionist. I remember asking you this a couple of years ago over lunch at the Denver Intl. Airport. "How much surgery is enough?" As I recall, you didn't have an answer then.
Believe me, I understand all of the surgeries you have done so far. I hope to under go most of the same procedures in the near future. It's just that I don't see anything that warrants going back under the knife once again. You are very beautiful.
Take Care.
Becca.