Monday, June 18, 2007

Red Without Blue

The Frameline Film Fest coincides with much of the Pride activities in San Francisco. I looked over the films and decided to see Red Without Blue...with a few friends tagging along.. I’d seen previews of the film in the past (at another trans film showing) and it looked really interesting.

The documentary film is about a pair of twin boys...one of which grew up to be a girl (Claire). The other turned out to be a gay boy (Mark).

The film shows a few old clips of the young boys growing up, followed by recent shots of the two of them in different situations...one male, the other female. The film doesn’t dwell on transition, but more on the people and their lives...where they have been, what they have been through, and where they are trying to go in life....which, honestly, I found very refreshing.

The film does show some of the stuff Claire has had to go through, including a very bizarre trip to an electrologist, but transition was more of a side story. It also showed the lives of their entire family...including their separated parents. Their mom appears to be a repressed lesbian...living with her female friend in a very close relationship...yet, she blatantly states she isn’t gay. Seeing their mom progress with time is actually a very interesting character development. Their father, unique in his own way, is highly supportive of Claire...which almost makes you want to give him a big hug right there.

Overall, I would say it was an excellent film. It is due to run on the Sundance channel...and would definitely be a film to catch...if you can.

Since both Claire and her brother now reside in San Francisco, they, along with the film makers, were present at the film showing. Beth and I introduced ourselves afterward before heading off to grab dinner. She seems like a really nice person, but wow, I’m not sure I would like that much of my life up on screen. Sure, I post stuff in here, but it’s not living breathing full technicolor...it’s just silent black and white.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kara, I am Erica. I recently moved from Santa Cruz to Ohio. I am a transgendered male who wants to go through all that you had gone through to accomplish my dream! I am now 55 and 30+ years have passed and my youth is gone! My developmental years! I am so sad and afraid to give up what I have! My wife would leave, my family would disown, my friends would laugh and ignore and work would let me go! I still dream of the day when I can walk down the street in my favorite dresses or skirts and shoes without jeers and shame! I loved your Blog as mine is here as "Boy To Gurl" Take care and your story brought tears to my eyes! We may have even passed one another in the Bay Area! Love Erica