Tuesday, July 17, 2007

IRS article and catching up

Sorry...I haven't been posting lately. I have a number of blog entries I've written, just haven't posted. I plan to throw them up here soon...as soon as I find a little time. (They will be retroactively posted, so they will have dates prior to this one.) In the meantime, though, I ran across an IRS/SRS article this morning:


I've mentioned this before, but it looks like Rhiannon is finally suing the IRS over their disallowing SRS costs to be deducted from her taxes (also here). I think she has a strong case, but the problem is, too many people have a hangup over transgender stuff. The poll shows 63% of people don't think it should be allowed as a tax deduction, 29% do, 8% don't know. Of course, I have a vested interest in the topic since I claimed my SRS costs as a tax deduction last year.

I've met Rhiannon at least twice now. Perhaps one of the issues she is dealing with is what I will term Societal Passability Discrimination. It basically comes down to the theory that the prettier and more passable you are, the better society will treat you. Rhiannon is up there in age, and I'll admit, she isn't a supermodel, but she does OK.

Some in society will say, when they see a pretty transsexual, that it was a good move for them. When the same person sees someone who doesn't pass very well, they may not have the same opinions. To me though, both can have the same reasons, desires, and pain associated with GID. There is no reason to deny one person the same opportunities of another simply based on looks.

If the IRS decides to decline my SRS costs as a tax deduction, I plan to defend my actions as well. Sure, I could pay the bill...but it's not the money...it's the philosophy of the policy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"word to the wise"
don't fuck with the IRS
you think you have problems now.You don't want to see what the IRS can to you.

from some who has and is still dealing with the IRS.
Plan to spent thousands of dollars to your CPA

Anonymous said...

If it isnt AWOL Kara. LOL

Nice to see you back though, not sure if this is a good time to tell you I am in the running for a job with the IRS? lol Dont worry, I would still be very suprised if I got it seeing how the federal government hire on the points system and loves to hand out preferential points as well.


Lauren- Dallas

Numtini said...

I picked up my certified letter from the IRS today, they're disputing my facial surgery. Though not on the surgery, but on documentation of the expenditures.

It really is a nightmare to have this hanging over you though. We have the money, sitting right in the bank, but just not knowing if they're going to decide you're taking too long or send a letter we don't get and just freeze our account or garnish wages.

Kara said...

I'm not sure if I'm just unaware of how powerful the IRS is or how secure I am in my tax deductions, but, at this time, they don't really scare me...that much. =P

Hiya Lauren. Good luck with the IRS job. You won't be the first at IRS that reads my blog. Someone from there pops in here once in a while. Hopefully someone there is watching out for us in some way or another.

K...good luck with your proceedings. I did my FFS tax deductions myself, but hired a CPA to take care of my SRS and stock sell items since I didn't want to screw it up. I also hired someone that was T-friendly, and informed of my situation upfront, so that they knew I was hiring them in case I was audited. Hopefully I won't have to deal with that, but I'm prepared to do so. Fortunately, my tax deductions are all legit and well documented.

Anonymous said...

on a completely unrelated note... When you said you would post again soon... ;)