Thursday, August 30, 2007

Katrina

Yesterday marked the two year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina slamming into New Orleans. Two days ago, I received a letter from Louisiana's Vital Records. It was a thick envelope, and when I noticed their address in the corner, my eyes got really big. Was this my new birth certificate? Did they finally get through all of the mess from the hurricane and process my request to have the M replaced by an F?

I opened the letter and found a cover letter, along with all of the paperwork I sent them. They'd also made copies of everything and included them as well.

The cover letter did not make my day. I don't have it on me to quote, but it basically said, "We haven't heard from you, so here is all of your stuff back."

WTF? Haven't heard from me? They never contacted me once. Sigh.

When life throws you lemons, make lemonade, right? What happens when life throws you poo? I say throw it back. I called Lamda Legal and got some referrals for LGBT-friendly attorneys in Louisiana. I also looked around online and found some limited information. Now it's just down to finding a lawyer willing to take my case.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are from Lousyanna?

So sorry to hear about that :P

Lauren- Dallas

Kara said...

Born there...remember, I was a military brat. We moved away before I turned 2.