Wednesday, January 09, 2008

High School

When I was in the middle of transition, I finally found a few others around the same age and in similar times of transition that lived near me. We were all on a forum together, so basically, we chatted almost every day.

Over time, the forum became quieter and quieter as more and more moved back into some sort of life outside a forum shell. Actually, I guess the forum also shifted, due to trolls that always tend to show up after a while.

It became a rather close knit group of 6: Me, Amy, Amber, Claire, Rachel, and Joan. Claire moved away a number of years ago, and Amy moved off to another school. The remaining four still chat here and there, but we're all spread out over the Bay Area just living our lives. When the other two are in town, though, we usually try to get together...which happened just last month.

I think some of this topic came up as we all ate dinner. I told them there were always other T's around going through transitions, but it was hard to build strong relationships with them, even though we might be around the same ages.

Claire mentioned that it was like going through high school...you only do it once.

That Claire is a smart one. She's nailed it right on the head. Yeah, there are others that have transitioned and been down the same path...like we've all been to nearly the same school, but just at different times.

"Yeah, you had Dr. Meltzer for SRS 101??? So did I!!!"

"Oh, and that Dr. O dude for FFS 105...he almost gave me a C at midterm, but I finished strong on the final and pulled out an A."

I've met a number of T's around my age bracket...or close, and we share that common bond. We've even adopted some of those transfer kids or foreign exchange students, but it's still hard to break into that core group simply because of the bond we all shared with overlapping transitions.

"Amy and I still haven't graduated," states Claire, in reference to not having had SRS yet.

"Eh, you have your GED. That's all that matters."

I still get together with a number of other T's here and there. It's a larger group that encompasses a wide range of transitioners. I guess you could say it's a Homecoming of sorts, but without the football game.

1 comment:

Josie Kat said...

Hi Kara. I think you know I’m 100% with you on this one. Lisa and I have a similar bond that others find difficult to break into, made by virtue of us being the same age, living in the same place and evolving and transitioning at the same time half in the UK and half in the US it feels. The school analogy is so apt. You simply had to be there with us at the same time or it's just not quite the same.

That said, it’s always fantastic to meet up with people, perhaps a year or two ahead or behind, from the same exclusive school, somehow lending credibility to our beginnings. I guess we all need to feel we belong to something bigger!

Josie