Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Baby Picture

I sorta feel like I'm going through my late 20's again. A number of my teammates are either getting married, having babies, or both.

Unlike my late 20's, though, I now get invites to baby showers. The most recent baby shower invitation, though, has the following sentence:
As part of one of the baby shower games, we ask that guests bring a baby picture of themselves.
At first I wondered if I could simply use my own baby picture, but I realized that we can often gender kids even when they are babies. Not only that, but my mom definitely put me in some wicked boy clothes from the early 70's. I don't know if I would be more cautious about my friends seeing my birth gender or the 70's attire, for that matter.

The thought of using someone else's baby picture ran through my mind for like a millisecond, but there is no way that would even be possible.

I've often wondered what the possibility is of having my own baby photo's photoshopped to be more feminine, but I don't think it's really worth it, and really, I don't think I would feel quite right about it.

So, for the baby shower, I think I'll just take one for the team and not participate. I figure I'm saving them the pain of 70's fashion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kara,
I am sure you will carry of this issue around the 'baby picture' with the same confidence and aplomb that you seem to possess and apply to all the other challenges in life that you have managed so well. You continue to be an inspiration for so many!
I was pleased to see your ongoing generosity around still providing updates (even if only brief) on your life.
As always I hope you continue to take care of yourself.
Cheers,
Garrett

Cassidy said...

Hi Kara,

I would just like to second what Garrett said. I decided to transition one year ago last Saturday. As someone just starting the same journey you've made, your blog has been *such* a comfort - and an inspiration to be as open as you.

So, a heartfelt thank you and best wishes from the other coast. (At least until I get back out to the Left - a/k/a Better - Coast myself!)

== Cassidy