Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Be a Man

Last week, I was making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It had been a while since I’d made one because the lid to the strawberry jam would not budge for me. Since my roomie was in the kitchen as well, I handed it directly to him and said, “Here. Be a man.”

Ha ha, the male ego is so fragile. Here it was presented with a mission…a possible obstacle in which to show it’s proud might, even with the slight possibility that it could fail and be labeled a wuss. Mike strains and strains. He pauses, then resumes his attempt to open the jellified jar of jam. Go Mike, Go!!! The top begins to move, and his ego breathes a sigh of relief. Yeah, he’s a man!!!

You know, I kinda like this aspect of being a woman. I don’t really know how to describe it, but there is the, of course, unwritten dynamic to the male-female world. Given an obstacle, a man must overcome all challenges to prove that he is a man…that he is worthy of the woman he desires. OK, OK, Mike is not my desire, nor am I his, but you get the general drift of things. A man has to be a man. Ahhh…they fall into my little trap every time. Of course, with great power comes great responsibility…so, I’ll have to be sure to use that power sparingly.

This is very similar to another situation this past weekend. After the tourney, I called up a friend who was helping another friend move apartments. I caught them on their final trip and sorta helped them load and unload some of the items. During the unloading portion, I told them I could only carry so much because I was tired from that day, plus I was wearing non-moving clothes at that time. I also didn’t want to break a nail. Ha ha!!! Just kidding. But it was rather funny that I’m standing there telling Blair that I can’t lift anything really big because I might hurt myself, and I might get dirty. OMG…did I actually say that? Four years ago “the boy” probably would have slightly mocked any woman who said that, or at least jovially teased her, but here I was saying it now.

No comments: