Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Bowling

It has been years since I last went bowling, and even longer since I used my own ball to bowl. I had to dig it out of the patio storage area. I coudn't remember if I still had the blue one or the red one, nor how my shoes looked. OK, yes, I used to bowl...in a league...and had my own shoes...and ball. My parents bowled when I was a kid, and I got involved with it sometime in 7th or 8th grade, I think. My average gradually increased from the 120's up to the upper 180's as an adult. The highest game I ever rolled was a 243, which isn't too bad for a straight ball bowler. Yup, no spin. Well, if there was spin, it didn't do much to move the ball at all.

So, a friend sent me a recent invite to go bowling with a group of mainly lesbian women. I figured it would be fun to get out on the lanes again. After finding my bowling bag in the storage unit, I checked to see how it looked. It was the blue one (ahh yes, trying to be the man by switching from my red one to a blue one), and it felt a lot heavier than it used to be. Wow, it felt heavy. My first ball was a 12 pounder before I graduated to the 14 pounder sometime in my 20's. I never made it to the standard 16 pounder. The finger holes also felt a little bigger than before, but who knows for what reason.

Anyway, off I went to the bowling alley. My first game was a 167 I think. My second was a 201. My bowling mates were quite impressed, and continued to raz me whenever I missed a shot. Soon, they began rooting against me...in a friendly sort of way.

One of them checked out my ball, and noticed that the spacing was really big. "Wow...your finger spacing is huge. How do you hold the ball." The obvious answer is because I have male hands, but I just shrugged and said I like it that way.

No comments: