Monday, May 17, 2004

Something to laugh about

Today was my appointment to have the Hylaform Gel injected into my nasolabial folds (laugh lines). The plastic surgeon injected something into my cheeks to numb my upper lip area, and then he began injecting the gel. It’s a clear gel containing a purified form of hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring sugar. It’s naturally found in the skin, cartilage, joints, and eyes of humans. In its natural state, it fills the space between collagen and elastin fibers, delivers nutrients, hydrates the skin by holding in water, and acts as a cushioning agent. In my case, though, he injected the gel just below the surface of the skin to temporarily add volume, thus filling the lines from inside out. I think the numbing shots were the worst part of the entire event, and I was numb for about an hour…and almost wishing I had my electrologist around. Afterward, I was a bit red, but only a touch swollen. Tonight, I can see the tiny areas where he injected the gel with the needle, but otherwise it looks great. I mean, I can still see the laugh lines, but they are far less prominent. From what I could tell, no one noticed the effects from the injected filler all day long. This material is only supposed to last about 12 weeks or so, but they have other options which last a lot longer, but are obviously a bit more expensive. In the long run, though, they are more cost effective for the time period. At this time, I will definitely consider the longer lasting ones.

I attended a meeting late this afternoon and had two people I’d known before FFS come up and introduce themselves to me. Neither of them recognized me. It’s kinda weird having people not know who you are when you know them. I could almost be pretty evil with it, but I’m not…or maybe I’ll save it for the right victim. Muahahaha…. Dangit, Amber is rubbing off on me. Or perhaps, I should stop telling people when they do that to me and just introduce myself to them as Kara. Some might never realize that the "boy" isn't there anymore.

No comments: