Saturday, June 25, 2005

T-dar

As I approached the Trans March area in Dolores Park, I spotted her walking toward me from a distance. She was T. I could just tell. It’s what many of us call T-dar. I don’t know if it’s the physical aspect of the smaller hips, the wider shoulders, the taller stature, the manly walk, the masculine face...or what...but there is typically something that gives all of us away...to some degree or another...only if you have the right eye to spot all of it, of course.

A few weeks ago I visited my therapist for a little session. I like to show up a little early just to see who leaves before me, as well as see who is there after me. I’m curious, OK?

I saw the one T leave before me, went to my session, then saw the T after me as she was sitting in the waiting lounge. I took the elevator down, then exited to my right. As I did, I saw a person presenting as neither male nor female. I could tell she was most likely T. I found it amazing to see another T there since I’d already seen the ones before and after me, and there was only one therapist handling T patients. I exited the building and headed for my car. As I walked toward the parking lot I saw a woman walking toward me. As soon as I spotted her, I knew she was T. I looked for the trachea as we approached one another, but didn’t see it. I thought to myself, “Good for her. She obviously saw a good surgeon.”

OK, people are probably thinking to themselves that Kara is too obsessed with thinking every woman out there is a T. I usually don’t, but these two majorly set off the T-dar.

How do I know they were T? Well, as soon as I walked past the second one, I heard, “Kara?”

She was a friend I had met once before and exchanged numerous emails with. She’d also had surgery with Dr. O so I wasn’t really able to recognize her. We chatted for a few minutes, then she told me she was meeting two friends there. I told her that I’d probably seen both of them...the one in therapy, and the one outside the elevator. I walked back in with her and met the one I had passed in the lobby. I’d actually exchanged emails with her, too, but I didn’t know what she looked like. Ironically, we both lived in the same spot as children...before my family moved on to the next military installation, that is.

Small world....small world.

No comments: