Monday, February 12, 2007

The Greg Behrendt Show

My usual morning news goes off at 9am. Often times, I'm still getting ready for work. Yes, I'm a slacker. Hey, it is California, right? When in Rome, I might as well be a Roman.

Anyway, the channel I watch used to have Montell on, but they have since switched to the Greg Behrendt show. I've seen a bit of it the past few months. Today was the first transgender episode I have seen since watching it.

Greg's show takes place in LA, so I'm sure he's fairly aware of T's. Him and his psychologist were definitely more about the relationship between the T and her girlfriend that telling the T how to live her life. They weren't quite up on pronouns, but then again, I'm not sure how the T would like to be addressed. You see, the transgender person said they were transgender...perhaps a transgenderist. She stated she wasn't a cross-dresser nor a transsexual, and that she did not plan on having surgery...she just wanted to live her life in the female persona.

The girlfriend of five years knew of the persona, but was not aware of her desire to live fulltime. It was sprung on her during the show.

That's gotta be hard. Don't drag your SO to a TV show to tell them some disastrous secret, OK? It takes many of us years to deal with the GID...how can we ask them to accept things right then...on national TV? It's just unfair.

Anyway, I only caught the first part, and taped the rest of it. I'll have to watch it later tonight. My initial reaction is that the show did a fairly decent job handling it...besides the overdramatization created via the need for network ratings.

PS...I love his uncomfortable phone calls.

No comments: