Friday, March 07, 2008

Microsoft and the media

I was up a touch late last night and caught the ABC News article about a trans-woman working at Microsoft. I know a few T's at Microsoft, so I figured I'd check out their latest edition. (I swear...if a guy told me he was a software engineer at Microsoft, I'd likely ask how soon he planned on transitioning.)

Microsoft takes a beating for how bad their operating system can annoy the hell out of people, but I have to give them kudos for how they treat their employees. Like I said, I've known a number of transgender women that have worked for Microsoft, and they always seem to have a relatively easy transition at work.

In last night's piece, the reporter actually annoyed me more than anything else. His continual usage of "he" drove me bananas, and his intentional questioning to provoke people's emotions not only backfired, but showed just how out of touch he is with society. The people being interviewed gave the reporter this look that was like "Wow, why are you so concerned about it?" or "Are you really that stupid?"

Bravo to Megan for putting up with that reporter. I don't know if I could have gone through that.

Megan is still with her wife, although their relationship looks rocky. A lot of wives try to make it work through transitions, but so many of them just have to give up in the end. I think it usually ends up being a mutual separation. It's so unfair for both of them, too...as transitioning after being married is so hard. Two people fell in love, yet one feels hurt for not knowing the truth, and the other feels sorry for not having been their true self so long ago. As Megan mentioned in the piece, she didn't tell her wife before their marriage because she herself still hadn't accepted who she was. I wish the two of them the best of luck.

2 comments:

Jessica Lyn said...

This story makes me reflect on my own life story. My wife doesn't want to be with me anymore. She's not attracted to women nor does she want to be. We are still friends and talk and email everyday. I shop for her too since she says I have a great sense of style and my tastes are better than hers.

Anyway, as sad as I am to not be with her that way anymore, I'm very glad that she's still in my life and we can have a friendship that is going to last a lifetime. She is my best friend.

Kelly said...

I've been reading Megan's blog off and on and yes, Microsoft does seem to be a pretty good place to work when transitioning. The products they make still suck big time, but props to them on how they handle things.

As for the relationship with the wife, I'll say it again and it will piss some people off, I have no sympathy whatsoever for Megan in that battle and will take the side of the wife in every single case. That anyone would expect their wife to stay with them is beyond crazy. It's not fair and it wasn't part of the deal.