Monday, September 01, 2008

Labor Day

My electrologist had a business adventure this weekend which prevented her from keeping our usual appointments. Last weekend, however, she did offer to get me in on Sunday. I called her yesterday, and she was able to get me in this morning. Yeah, I guess that makes me evil for making her work on a holiday. She was able to get me in for 3 hours, with a break about halfway through. We folded TGSF newsletters during her coffee break and completed them afterward.

You better work, covergirl, work it girl!

Last week, Mark was a little more active than normal. He tends to be more social than most engineers, and very observant. He likes to stop by and converse about topics like football, politics, .....my long hair:

“Do you run every day?” Mark asks.

“Well, I play and I have dance class twice a week.”

Mark’s eyes lit up. “Dance class???”

Another coworker chimes in “Pretty soon he’ll be walking and dancing around like one of the girls.”

Mark has to throw in one of his comments by stating “He already has the hair.”

“Hey...w h a t e v e r!” as I laughed it off.

Do a twirl on the runway...supermodel of the world!

While asking my boss a question one day, I made notice that he was wearing a very unique new shirt. Him and another coworker then took notice of my rather bland midwestern style. They said I needed to go with something different and take a little risk. I guess they didn’t spot the bra I was wearing.

Speaking of my boy clothes, I was walking on my work-campus when I noticed that my shoe was rattling. That’s strange. I got back to my desk and further inspected my shoe. It appears that one of the back portions of the sole has worn through the bottom portion and exposed the inner air pocket. A rock found its way up in to that cavity and was rattling around. I haven’t bought many new men’s clothes because I’m aiming to transition early next year. I need to stretch the physical condition of my current clothes out in the meantime and hope that they last. The pants have a few holes trying to form in the back area right near the pockets, the shoes are obviously falling apart, and I have a few dress shirts that have worn out the edge of the cuff section. I think I can stretch another 4-5 months out of all of them. I figure the last thing I am going to buy is a pair of shoe laces to replace the one I recently broke (it’s tied in a knot currently).

Wet your lips and make love to the camera!

Mark, my boss, and I are walking back from a meeting when somehow we got on the topic of me always following the rules.

One of them quips “You’re a character right out of Dilbert.”

I provoke “Which one? The short bald guy?”

“Yeah, Wally, the short bald guy!” my boss says.

Mark of course, doesn’t let it stop there and chimes in, “I was thinking the long haired woman.”

“Mark has to give me his weekly crap,” I say to my boss in a manner suggesting Mark is just giving me his usual schmidt.

Mark amusingly responds, “Yep, just when I think I’m running out of material you do something new.”

Sashay, Shante’

On my way to the cafeteria this past Friday, Mark is walking in at the same time. He asks me if I am eating at the cafeteria which I interpret as “would you stay here and eat lunch with me so I don’t look like a doofus eating lunch alone.” I tell him sure.

We sit down for lunch, and another coworker that I don’t know sits down at the table with Mark and I. We get on the subject of a coworker getting married, who just happens to be a guy with long hair. I ask Mark if he gives him any crap about his hair. Mark says, “No," and this is where things got interesting.

The guy who sat down with us says to Mark, “Mark, you can’t make comments like that. HR has a policy against that type of stuff.”

I just met the guy, and already I like him.

Mark responds with “They weren’t sexual comments. You’re always making comments like that,” referring to me.

He’s right, I do make some comments, but they are usually of a different nature. I don’t root for the 49ers or Raiders, so I take some slack rooting for midwest teams like the Packers and Rams. I just happen to give a lot of that slack back. It’s all meant as jocular humor and friendly banter. Anyway, I found it humorous that this guy stated what I can’t really enforce. Am I supposed to walk in to HR and say, “Hey, this guy keeps thinking I am a girl.”

I told Courtney this story and she said I should tell him or my superiors about his comments. I, however, remembered Courtney telling me about an incidence she had occur at work a number of weeks back. A bunch of her coworkers were discussing an article that was out that day about a TS in prison that sued to have the state pay for it all. I guess a coworker came up to her later that same day and asked her if she was ‘flipping.’ I asked her if she reported him to HR, but she said no since she didn’t want to cause any trouble. I feel the same way about reporting anything to HR...why clue them in to a situation I’m not comfortable sharing with them at this time.

No comments: