Wednesday, October 08, 2008

She is obviously post-op!

I will admit it, I do watch a little reality TV, and I have been watching Survivor since Day 1. Last week, CBS aired their latest episode of Survivor: Gabon. I had the DVR going, so the entire episode was recorded. It wasn't until I was scanning through the menu on my TV that I saw the title of the episode:

"She is obviously post-op!"


What? No way.

OK, so, I usually look through the cast to see if they have put any transgender people in Survivor, and I had not heard any news about any of them being transgender, so then I thought, someone must be thinking that Crystal, the Olympic gold medalist, is a transsexual. The woman is like 6'2" and built quite well.

I pulled up Google and did a brief search to see if anything about the title was mentioned in the episode, and I only found one little blurb on someone's blog about the very openly gay Charlie saying the title line to someone else.

I watched the episode and never saw anything, then scanned through it again, but, alas, I could not find any mention of the title in the actual episode.

The only thing I can figure is that either the line was removed in last minute editing, but the title, since it is usually in the system well in advance of two weeks for TV schedules, was unedited. That, or perhaps the East Coast got a different version than the West Coast based on viewer reaction or something. My bet is that it was removed in some last minute editing due to the conservative nature the TV execs and certain stations like to enforce.

For the record, Crystal is not post-op. She's just a very tall athletic woman. Sheesh...she's had a child, for goodness sake.

To be honest, though, I don't really know how to react to this one. My assumption is that a gay man made the reference to her being post-op. This is where trans-education has made someone smart enough to look like an idiot. He may be aware of trans-issues, but the social correctness of his hypothetical statement makes him look very ignorant.

I'm just hoping we get to see Crystal and Charlie in close quarters sometime soon (as they are on opposite sides right now), so he CAN make a comment and then have the living snot beat out of him by Crystal. Or, at least, maybe it can happen in a nice friendly manner. Of course, if it wasn't rough and tumble, then they probably won't show it in the first place.

No comments: