Friday, March 06, 2009

Lunch Date

A week ago, a guy asked me to lunch. He's been chatting me up in the cafeteria for quite some time now...informing me of the culinary tastes of European dark chocolate. I am, of course, turning European now that I have basically thrown milk chocolate to the gutter as worthless batter for my taste buds.

Anyway, a few days before our lunch date, he introduced me to one of his co-workers, and then bluntly asked me to lunch. I'm not sure if he jumped at the opportunity since he doesn't see me all that often, or if the coworker helped him show off his masculinity. Either way, it doesn't really matter. Also, he doesn't work at my company, he just eats at our cafeteria which is open to the variety of other companies in the area. Thus, he's not classified as a co-worker to me, nor do I rely on him to provide cafeteria food, so it appears there is no harm in going out.

On our way to lunch, he asked what I was doing for the weekend. I said I was going to Wondercon, and then off to the San Francisco Coronation. He wondered what Coronation was, so I told him they would be selecting a new Emperor and Empress of San Francisco. He said he'd never heard of it.

"It's probably different from your normal crowd. It's an LGBT event."

"L...G...B...T?"

"Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender."

"Oh....are you one of the letters?"

"Yup, I'm a Q...for queer."

I then had to enlighten him on being queer. I should have said I was a lesbian to get his reaction to inviting someone to lunch who has no interest in him at all, but I wasn't that mean.

We chatted over lunch, and even got on the topic of what we were looking for...and even brought up the kid topic. He said he was interested in kids.

I have a friend who is dating a guy, and I don't think she has ever told him she is T. A number of our friends coerced her into at least telling him that she can't have kids.

And, to be honest, I think that is going to be my new ice breaker on the T stuff.

"I can't have kids," I told him.

I figured this was a way of dealing with at least one of the concerns of dating a transsexual. I told him that adoption was always an option with me.

He called me earlier this week and said he was interested in going out again. We have dinner set for tonight, so, I'm not sure if I will move forward with the T information or not...I guess it kinda depends on how the topics move along tonight.

1 comment:

~ Charlotte said...

You might want to consider the third date rule. I mean, yea, most people think of sex as the third date rule, but I like to think of it more as intimacy. And telling a potential dating partner your history is always rather intimate - sometimes even more so then sleeping with someone. Just a thought.

Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful time tonight - Good luck! ^_^