Thursday, November 19, 2009

Drunk men

I attended TGSF's month social tonight. We had Matt from the Transgender Law Center stop by and discuss the legalities of name and gender changes. He also answered a number of questions from the audience. I asked him how one can verify that the Social Security Administration actually changes your gender marker. He said there is a little section on the annual Social Security report that indicates gender, but once I got home tonight, I found no gender marker on my report. He also indicated that if you feel out the California DMV form to permanently change gender (as opposed to the "temporary" check box), that the DMV should no longer have an AKA listing in their database. I told him that I permanently changed my name and gender well over 5 years ago and that when I did a ride-along with the cops a few years back, they still had an AKA listed under my driver's license number with my old name. I might need to check that one out further.

As I was leaving, though, a 30-something guy at the bar points at me and says, "You!"

"Me?" I said as I looked around.

"You're a girl...right?"

He must have seen the large group of transgender women there and thought I wasn't one...or he wanted the typical transsexual fantasy that a lot of men have where they think a girl is a girl until being surprised. Sigh.

"I'm a girl...now," I said.

"You mean you're a girl tonight?"

This guy was pretty wasted, obviously, especially with his next line.

"I'm writing a book and you can really determine how this chapter goes," he says with a glow in his eyes.

"I'm a transsexual."

"No, really?"

"Yeah. I'm Ms. Transgender San Francisco 2009."

"Huh?"

By this time I am starting to catch up to my friends that are just outside the entrance.

"No you're not a tranny."

"Yeah, I am. Don't make me use my deep voice."

"Yeah...do it. Say 'I've got a surprise for you'."

"Uh...no," as I rush out to Ally and hide behind her.

They proceed to tell him that I am in fact a transsexual. He kinda just stands there for a few seconds and then says, "I'd hit that," before jumping in his friend's car.

Sigh...men.

2 comments:

Kelli Bennett said...

Aren't they something Kara? I can't ever figure out how I managed to live as one for so long.

Anonymous said...

My first answer to that question is always, "You're a(n) idiot/assh#le/alcoholic/fill-in-the-blank, rigjt?". Unless, of course, I feel I could put myself into a threatening situation. In that case, I just shake my head and leave.

Audrey