Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Still 6 minutes

I ran a 5K a few weeks ago. Since I've had a bit more time to work out lately and get in a few more miles, I thought I would put in a pretty decent time.

Wrong.

I ran the first mile in just over 7 minutes, and the second mile in just over 8 minutes, to finish in a little over 24 minutes. Gah...24 minutes!!!!

Before transition, I was still breaking 18 minutes for a 5K. Granted, that was 8 years ago, but still. When I got to the first mile I thought, "This is only the first mile. Wow! I'm toast!"

There was an article I blogged about a few years ago entitled "A 6 Minute Difference" about a transsexual woman who now runs a 5K six minutes slower than she did before transition. Funny how we see the same results.

One of the problems I see, though, is that it really shouldn't be that slow. Even Janet mentions in the Runner's World article that she trains and trains, and doesn't seem to get any faster. And we are both 2 minutes per mile slower. When I look at the age adjusted times, I was running around the 75% percentile as a man, and as a woman, I've dropped down to the low 60's.

What's the difference? Well, my bet is that is has something to do with the dreaded testosterone. Men of my age have a typical range of around 300-900 ng/dL and women run between 20-75 ng/dL. What is my testerone level? Well, mine comes in under 20 ng/dL...which means I'm not making enough for the test to detect.

I think it's also part of the reason why my libido is so low, and why I can't seem to run much faster...there just isn't any drive. I'm basically running on empty. The other problem is that if I take testosterone to improve my libido and sex drive, will people accuse me of doping for athletic performance? If I did take the testosterone would it improve my athletic performance up to the relative level I had before, or would this give me too much of an advantage?

Unfortunately, I don't know if I can have my cake and eat it, too. It seems like I can only have one or the other, and I'm not giving up my sports.

2 comments:

Ol' Guy said...

Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that when you were running 6-minute miles you were in your 20s and early 30s and you're about to be ... what was that number again? Age has a way of punishing all of us. It's the one thing we can't escape. Voice of experience.

Kara said...

Yeah, yeah...the big four-oh is rapidly approaching, but it's more than an age thing. I saw fluctuations before, but nothing like the severe increase in race times. I included a graph in the original post that covers my 5K times from my twenties until my late 30's. I didn't have any races one year, so that year is excluded. I just see this straight line up once I started hormones and had SRS. I'm just hoping I can level it off and hopefully bring it down a bit.