Monday, January 22, 2007

Back in class

I'm taking my creative writing class again this semester. I really enjoyed it so much last year that I figured I would take it again...especially since one is allowed to take it twice. One other student from last semester is also taking it again, so I'm not alone.

Last semester, the teacher had us write the first portion of a longer story. I did. She complimented my original work the first day of class last week, and noted that I was hoping to write the second half this semester. I figure the class will help push me into actually sitting down to write instead of blowing it off for that rainy weekend.

Anyway, I need help. I have a story arc that I'm not quite sure how to finish. I have three possible ideas, but I'm not sure which arc is best to fulfill the general sense the story is encompassing.

One of the main characters is a transsexual near the beginning of transition. Go figure, huh? Another of the main characters is a man who has a little trouble dating. At the beginning of the story, he's totally in love with this UPS girl, but she blows him off. The love starved man first meets the T while both are male and become decent friends. Later, the love starved man ends up having sex with one of the T's friends who he doesn't realize is T. That, along with his brother coming out as being gay really throws him for a loop. After that tough period for him, though, he finally starts dating the UPS girl via some of his own life lessons. My trouble is how to end it from here.

1. He ends up marrying the UPS girl that he always cherished.

2. He ends up with the T he had sex with, realizing that he doesn't care about her past.

3. He ends up with the T that is transitioning after finally seeing her as female instead of the male he once knew.

I figure option number 1 is more mainstream touchy feely. Option 2 shows more of the life that the transitioning T can see in the future. And Option 3 is more LGBT touchy feely.

I realize the people that read this will likely be more oriented to options 2 or 3, but I wanted to see how some might respond.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to go with option 1. I can tell you that in my own experience, if you totally love someone and you finally get the chance at that love, well, you're going to make the most of it. I know that my one true love was the one person I would have done anything in the World to marry and spend the rest of my life with but I never got that chance and no matter how long I live and how many people I love, that girl will still be my one true love. So, if the UPS girl is his true love, well, he's got to end up with her. My attempt to live vicariously through someone else.

Jessica Lyn said...

I'd say option #2. Since I am just beginning my transition I'd love to go with option #3 but that wouldn't be timed right as the T just starting out would need a year or two to come into herself and option #1 would be too much of a happy ending.

My true love is my wife (soon to be ex-wife). I will always love her, but I had to leave her to become the woman I know I am inside as she does not want to be with another woman. She said she will always love me and be in my life, but only as friends. Which is fine with me as we are best friends, but I also feel as though she as my soul mate. I will never be in love with someone else as much as I love her. So things don't always work out so happily ever after in the real world.

Rich said...

I'm leaning towards option 1 but am concerned about why she blew him off in the first place. Did she somehow become enlighted about how great a guy he was to want to be with him?

Option 2 is also very possible. But it sounds like she was a one night stand so it doesn't really play well for me.

Option 3 is a non-starter (in my mind). They were guy friends so I think he's always going to view her that way.

Which leads us to Option 4 - the love starved guy has matured as a result of these experiences and realizes that he does have love in his life after all - from his friendships. And, he can now move forward, destined to find "the one" who is really the right one for him (without any self-induced pressure).

Does that help?
:)

Jessica Lyn said...

Wow, I think Rich came through again. I love his option #4.

Rich, are you sure you're not truely a woman on the inside?

Rich said...

LOL! I prefer to think myself as having a 'balanced perspective'. :)

I just think that it could be a nice, alternate way to conclude the story.

But, of course, there has to be a sequal - right Kara? :)

Anonymous said...

or, being a non-conformist, how about none of the above? the guy ends up alone, cause he rejects the transitioning T which offends the other girls. maybe one of the T's ends up with the UPS girl.

Anonymous said...

oops, sorry, the previous anonymous was me

Jude (bloomingTSGirl on Open Diary)

take care all
-J

Rich said...

So Kara,

Which way did you decide to go with the story?

Kara said...

Rich...I'm still not sure. I've found I really like stories with some type of closure. You're option #4 has crossed my mind before...and it may possibly work now that I think about it. All 4 of my characters go from one place to another...yet, their lives haven't reached any conclusion...just a new chapter. I'll probably be writing a bit this weekend, I hope, as I'll be spending over 10 hours on planes. I'd say I really won't know how the story is going to end until I actually start writing it and feel the flow the story is taking. I have a general direction, but will likely go with the current for a long duration.

Jeff said...

Kara,

Good luck in NYC!!!

I know that is a bit late but how about:

He ends up with the UPS girl, that is if she is truly in love with him. Later on he bumps into the one-night stand (the T) and the transitioning T while with her (the UPS girl).
He continues to fall for the UPS girl they get marriend or something and all four of them become good friends. (The girls are even bridemaids). Moving forward, he sees how tough life can be for someone who is TG and comes to understand the whole TG 'thing'. He comes to see the transitioning T really as woman, based inpart on how all the girls really get along, (have similar passions) and enjoy doing girlie things and such. At some point he makes a comment that she (the by now newly transitioned T) is really pretty, not just on the outside but on the inside too. He admits that could even be with a TS even for a night and for long term relationship. This is when he finds out about the other girl that he slept with actually a post op TG.

The UPS girl found out a while ago but did not say anything.

In the end, all four are really happy and good friends, married or not.