Thursday, February 28, 2008

Stanford

I participated in a trans-panel at Stanford a little over a month ago. The Clayman Institute hosted Jana Marcus' art entitled Transfigurations (project information) and also had a trans-panel following her discussion of the work she created. Stanford recorded the entire piece, and now has it up on their iTunes section.

There is nudity in the 1 hour 16 minute piece, so it may not be work safe, but for those that never caught the show or one of her talks, it is a very interesting program to watch. Some of the photos in the presentation have never been seen at a show, and have only been visible in her personal slide show...but are now visible online in the iTunes download. The first third of the program is Jana talking about the project and exploring some of those rarely viewed pictures. The last two-thirds of the program is the trans-panel of Stephen, Lyle, Beth, and myself.

Some of my notes:

It rained like 70% of the time during January, and that day was no different...thus, it was a very bad hair day. I have lots of frizz due to the humidity and the light sprinkles that caught my hair that day.

Later in the program, I was trying to think of the word "selfish", but instead used "greedy". (Call it stage fright.) During transition, you often have to be selfish and just think of yourself in order to get done what needs to get done. It was really hard for me to do that since up until that point in my life, I was always trying to make others happy.

The movie bugged out on me a little if I tried skipping around, so you may want to watch the whole thing without skipping portions...and then try skipping around once you have seen it.

Otherwise, enjoy the presentation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kara
I thought the show was excellent , we should have more shows like this to educate the world about trans issues and everyday life

Jessica Lyn said...

OMG I love you voice! And I've never seen Beth before, she's just as beautiful as you!

I've only met one other tgirl in person, so this inspires me so much. I does show that transitioning is possible.

Thank you so much for sharing that with us.