Monday, February 25, 2008

Wondercon

I've never been to a comic book conference before, and since Scully and Mulder were supposed to be there, I figured this would be a good one to attend. Wondercon was this past weekend in San Francisco's Moscone Center. I talked a good friend into going, and we spent the whole day checking out different parts of the show.

OK, I'll admit, I was a little starstruck initially. We saw Lou Feriggno (The Hulk), Richard Hatch and Herb Jefferson (Battlestar Galactica), Chase Masterson (DS9), Peter Mayhew (Star Wars), and a number of other people who appeared in scifi shows over the past few decades.

There was also a booth where you could get a picture taken with this woman who had ginormous arms. Without flexing, she looked like she was flexing. And when she was flexing...wow. I mean, she was hot, had a pretty face and definitely a very feminine body...but here were these muscular arms. Sure, the rest of her body was very toned as well, but, yeah, super ginormous arms. My friend could obviously tell I was in to her...and, yes, I had my picture taken with her.

I thought I might run into a geek friend or two, but the only person I recognized at the show was Aejaie Sellers. I said hi to her and her boyfriend in passing, and introduced my friend. I was actually kinda surprised to run into her there, but supposedly this was not her first show. I guess we'll have something to chat about the next time I run into her.

My friend and I wandered around the show for a few hours. During all of that time, I did a ton of people watching. Amongst the geek population lives a large number of the marginally androgynous. I don't have the exact reasons, but there just tends to be a vast array of men with ponytails, etc. Perhaps they just lack some of the routine male rigidness or something, which was quite refreshing to me. I thought I would run into a few transgender people at the show, but really, no one stood out to me. Sure, there were a few guys that may have shown some signs, but if they were, they still appeared to be in the male mode. And there were surprisingly a lot of women/girls there...more so than I would have expected. Perhaps some of the female artists as well as the panel content drew them in. I know it drew me in when it was announced both David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson would be appearing.

I dragged my friend off to the X-Files panel that afternoon (go to youtube.com and plug in x-files and wondercon for a ton of clips). They showed a trailer for the new movie this summer, which they are still filming. In fact, the "whole crew" flew down for the convention after having like zero sleep the night before. I guess that is one of the downsides to filming a lot of night time scenes such as the X-Files would have. Gillian Anderson had this elegant glow to her that I could still manage to see from the 42nd row in which I was sitting. And her hair...omg...I would die for her hair.

Overall, I had a really good time, and enjoyed spending the day with all of the geeks.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I can't wait for the new X Files movie. I was so disappointed in the first one but I've heard, hopefully correctly, that this one will answer some questions. Was there anything there from Lost?

Anonymous said...

OMG! I went to Wondercon that day too! It turns out you're the second person I know who went that day, and I didn't run into either one of you. Did you get to sit in on the Ironman panel? It's looking good!

Kara said...

I didn't see anyone from LOST. I think they are still out on the island somewhere. The new X-Files movie is supposed to be more along the lines of the monster of the week, or in this case, monster of the year. I'm hoping they can spit out a few movies before 2012 when something catastrophic is supposed to happen in their time line.

Charlotte...no way!!! You were there, too? Damn. You should have joined my friend and I for lunch. I missed the Ironman panel, but I caught the J. Michael Straczynski talk in one of the side rooms. I was a huge B5 fan back in the 90's. Ironman was after the X-Files panel, so my friend and I decided to hit the booths between that panel and the later showing of the Justice League movie. The Wall E movie looks pretty entertaining, too.

So, Charlotte...were you in boy or girl mode?

Anonymous said...

Silly - I was in girl mode of course. I don't go out in public in boy mode if I can help it.

I caught the Justice League movie too. I really liked it, and the end had me all teary-eyed. I had no idea Vicki Lewis was the voice of Lois Lane until she walked out for the discussion and I recognized her from Newsradio (I absolutely LOVE Newsradio). Totally cool!