Thursday, December 31, 2009

Hanging out after practice

This is a post I drafted earlier this summer, but didn't post until now. It's almost resprentative of this past year.

-----------------------


We had a BBQ after practice today, and somehow one of my teammates got on the subject of a male to female transsexual in her women's locker room at a local gym...and how she still had her package. My teammate basically said that MTF transsexuals shouldn't be in the women's locker room while they still have it. Another of my teammates mentioned that they wouldn't have much success going in the male locker room either.

And thus is the story for a lot of transsexuals. Our society is built on the notion of 2 sexes...not the grayness that surrounds them. Being naked in society while pre-op or a non-op can be difficult, especially when in non-gray areas. It was one of the reasons why I didn't venture too far from the gray-friendly areas during the twilights of my transition. While one sun set, I waited for the other sun to rise before moving too far out into the world.

I feel privileged that I was able to listen in on my teammates' conversation considering that I belong to the grayness. I have had 2 teammate's transitions come out over the past year or so and it has been a very interesting experience. I have had the opportunity to see how my teammates respond, and typically, they have done fairly well. I knew they would, though...and even if any of them have issues, it appears there aren't any major issues.

Via the network of transsexuals, one of my former teammates now knows about my own previous transition, but nothing else has been said. I don't know if it will affect me in the future or not, but I can't let it bug me.

I just have to be me...grayness and all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel a little better after reading this, because someone else has done the same thing as I'm doing now, trying to stick to the gray/gender neutral areas.

Fat Bastardo said...

Have you ever noticed how really fat people tend to morph into sort of a non specific gender? Fat boys like me grow boobs aka moobs and fat girls get bristles and other facial hair.

It has been my unscientific observation that slender people are more evolved as are androgynous ones. I, Fat Bastard am a wild and uncouth beast of a boy. You see people like me at tea party rallies and all you can eat buffets. By 2020 80% of Americans will be like me ie aggressive greedy gluttons possessing the worst parts of male a female.

Androgyny is too civilized for most humans.