Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Three days in

After my four month vacation, I'm now back at work at a new company. It's been three days so far, and I have had a number of men either stop by to introduce themselves, offer to give me tours, or ask if I needed anything. No women have stopped by.

From what I can tell, there are no other female engineers in my entire group...and possibly just no other women at all. Every time I am introduced to another woman that has worked with some of my team members, they tell me how wonderful it is to finally have a female engineer.

My boss has actually mentioned that the topic of my arrival has been talked about amongst the group a bit lately. They even pondered if there would have to be changes now that a woman is in the group.

This has definitely been an interesting start, and since this is actually the first time I have stepped into a job where no one knows my past (outside perhaps one or two people that I worked with at my old company that now work at my new company, but who I'll likely rarely see), I wonder if there are precautions I should take.

I watched the job discrimination video during my orientation on Monday, and I noticed that I definitely need to watch what I say since I am just starting to get to know my fellow engineers. I'm just trying to be cautious with what they say, as well.

So, what's the problem with all the attention, Kara?

Ahh...but see, that's part of the problem. I'd rather not garnish any excess attention. We all have tells, no matter how small. I don't need/want anyone looking too close. Hopefully the attention will die down soon.

Also, I don't want to alienate myself with the guys having to watch what they say or do. I don't want them shutting down when I am around. I simply want them to be themselves. I can only hope that they become comfortable around me after a while and break out of their shells. I'm just hoping that I don't get any of the single ones asking me out.

On another note, I seem to have forgotten just how introverted so many engineers can be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The medical engineer firm I worked at when I transisioned was approximately 30% women engineers. I was laid-off back in August along with 60 other engineers, technicians and support staff after working their for 22 years. The remainder of the employees are being laid-off this month and the company is closing the facility. The work we did is now being contracted out to other companies here in the US and overseas.

All the company's former employees are getting together today at a local bar to celebrate the holidays and to cry on each others shoulders. The engineering job outlook where I live is not very good and I still remain unemployed. You should be thankful you found a new job so quickly.

Jennifer

clague said...

It's funny, because I work in a male dominated field - technologies/IT - and whenever a girl comes around, it's funny to watch the computer engineers behave. You're bound to get attention because you're 1) a girl, and 2) you're pretty. It's going to be funny wathing them stumble over their words and giggle until they get used to you! LOL!