Thursday, December 11, 2003

What is there to look forward to?

My dance class is having their end-of-semester performance show tomorrow night, and tonight was the dress rehearsal. I basically worked on one routine this year, and because I have electrolysis tomorrow night, I won’t be able to perform with them. I really wanted to, especially since I would have been the only “guy” there, although I might have come out to them before that since they’d probably want me to wear a tight shirt. After we finished our routine, they continued on as some of the more advanced members had worked on a few other routines on their own. As they ran through their routines, I drifted. And this was way off topic.

I started thinking about life again. What is there to look forward to? Why do we go through all the motions? Like I’ve mentioned before, I’m not going to kill myself, but seriously, what is there in life to look forward to? Love? Money? Happiness? Or does it all become mundane? What is it that we will continue to put our nose to the grindstone to make money for? Alcohol? Drugs? Sex?

I drove around after class to take care of some errands. I picked up some cash for electro, then stopped by the grocery store to grab some orange juice since I was out. I usually check the store to see if they have any specials on my favorite cereal simply because my cereal seems horribly expensive. It usually runs over $5 a box, and is NEVER on sale. Tonight, as I was walking back down the cereal aisle, I spot a 2 for 1 sale on my cereal. Yeah! I sat in the express lane with one large orange juice jug and 6 boxes of cereal. That was it. What a dork, huh?

As I was walking out, I realized what there is to look forward to....the moment. We all live for the moment...whatever that moment may be. For me, in this instance, it was saving a few bucks on my favorite cereal. I am SO easy to please. But that moment is different for everyone....getting married, being proposed to, competing in a big event, having a child, making a birthday wish....and the list goes on and on. I think those that are in love have a lot more moments they can look forward to, especially with a person they want to share their life with. For me though, I guess I am dating a box of cereal.

No comments: