Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Escence

OK, OK, I suck at writing lately. So, I have a little to catch up on.

Phosphorescence

I saw Shrek 2 this past weekend. It was pretty cute. There were also a number of gender jokes mixed within the story. As I told a friend of mine, it’s OK to laugh at these things because you can’t take all of it serious all of the time. I’ll try not to ruin the movie for people that haven’t seen it, but part of it is CD based with someone wearing women’s underwear, and let’s just say that one of the characters is definitely T-something.

Acquiescence

So, last week, my old home state, Missouri, decided to ban gay marriages. What a bunch of boneheads. I mean, I have talked with plenty of straight people here, and most of them don’t really care. And like I mentioned before, what harm will come if gay people do get married? Straight people have already screwed up marriage, gay people won’t do any worse. So, I think a lot of people in Missouri just voted for the ban because they seem to think that if they don’t, then they’ll be labeled a fag or something. They are so homophobic that I think a lot of them just go along with what they think is the bandwagon, but they don’t realize how damaging it is. It’s almost like living back in the days before Equal Rights, which now, is worth less than the paper it was written on.

What’s really bad, though, is that there are a ton of gay people who are still living within a closet, and this decision by the public just forces them further into it. I know straight people don’t get this that well, but trust me, hiding further in the closet on who you are really blows. It just makes things worse.

Adolescence

A couple of weeks ago, a female coworker invited me to sit with her and a few of her friends, whom I’d never met, for lunch. I’m not sure if the conversation turned to kids or not, but they never asked me anything more than what department I worked in.

Anyway, after the other two left, my friend asked me about my transition, how things were going, how things were before, etc. She said she almost started to cry when she realized what I was going through before going full time. Then she asked me something I really haven’t been asked before. She wanted to know about the male side of things, and how things were different now. You see, she is single and has a son. She wants to know what to expect.

So, I tell her that testosterone can basically be wrapped up as being “in your face.” It’s always there yelling SEX, SEX, SEX in your head. It makes you feel powerful, and want sex, anxious, and want sex, strong, and it makes you do about anything to have sex. It makes you feel aggressive, and did I mention the sex part?

That is one kinda cool part about transition – I’ve seen both sides. Well, I haven’t fully seen the new side, but I’ve felt my share of this side so far…with a lot more still to explore. It definitely gives me an insight into a lot of different aspects of life.

No comments: