Sunday, November 21, 2004

Dr. Frankenstein, I presume

I usually don’t get up this early on a Sunday morning, but I was off to the city for a date. A date with a guy. He’s a doctor. Today, of course, he’s going to be pulling staples out of my head.

I pulled into Davies’ parking structure around 8:30am and walked into their otherwise empty office. I heard Dr. O and two others in one of the exam rooms - one was having her nose packing removed. After they were finished, he called me back to the examining room where he examined my 9 day old incision.

“You’ve healed up quite well,” he said.

He then proceeded to pull the staples out of my head. They don’t hurt too bad when he slides them out - about half to a quarter of the pain of electro. They bled slightly and he patted the area with some gauze. When he was finished, I ran my fingers along the incision line - noticing two rigid objects still in my head on the left side.

“There’s still two on this side,” I said.

“Let me check. Well, how about that, there sure are.”

He then pulled those two staples out and rechecked the other side, where he noticed two others.

Dr. O then proceeded to tell me the story of one woman from Seattle who pulled out a missed staple on her flight home. I’d heard a similar story or two, which is why I have checked my head both of the times I’ve had the staples removed.

He asked if I had any questions. Sure....I always have questions:

“How long before I can shower after just having the staples removed?”

“Wait about 30 minutes.”

“How long before I can start exercising again?”

“Wait until next weekend.”

“OK, I guess I won’t be able to eat as much on Thanksgiving.”

After that, he said he was headed home to blast some music that the neighbors hated. Too funny.

No comments: