Tuesday, November 02, 2004

The fat lady is a hummin'

As I write this entry, it looks like George Frickin’ W. Bush is going to be our fearless leader for another 4 years. Great.

It’s not that I have a problem with Republicans, it’s that I have a problem with homophobic freedom-stealing bonehead hypocrites. Republicans...Democrats...most of their policies don’t drastically affect me. Dubya and his fellow religious fanatics, though, preach one thing, but practice another. Sorry, I’m just venting.

So, what do I mean? Well, George likes to talk about the US being in Iraq and Afghanistan to “extend the peace by seeking to extend the benefits of freedom and prosperity across the globe.” Yet, here at home, 11 states decided to take away the freedom of gay couples by not allowing them to marry...to share benefits between two loved ones...or to share a relationship with someone they love. Who led this march against freedom??? Was it Hitler? Nope. It was George W. Bush with his constitutional amendment proposal to define marriage as between a man and a woman. Why can’t we have freedom for all...and not just the few that George seems to approve of?

There is a way around this...at least in California. Unfortunately, if this loophole were abused, it would probably mean bad things for people actually trying to transition....even the possibility that they’d strip away legal recognition of our correct gender. There is a DMV form (DL 328) that allows one to change gender. It has both “transitional” and “complete” check boxes. All one needs is a licensed therapist or physician to declare one person in a same sex relationship as transitional and they would now be man and woman...male and female...husband and wife. Could we just say that one of the partners was labeled as the “man” or “woman” in a relationship? Who’s to say that one of the couple doesn’t express as being more masculine or feminine? What is gender...what is gender identity? Basically, it just requires a sympathizing physician or therapist. Of course, that would probably remove the “licensed” part before their job title if they did sympathize with the loophole.

So, anyway, people seem to have this fear...one that the conservative party has really been able to manipulate. What are people afraid of? Well, they are afraid of terrorism, homosexuals, and anything else that might destroy their children and prevent them from raising them how they want to raise them. I can see why people are afraid of terrorists...they strike anywhere and they strike with the intent to kill. In our country where we are a mixture of so many races and cultures (something I think is a strength), one can move around with relative ease...well, within the more metropolitan areas, that is. In other countries, though, people sometimes stick out.....perhaps like a black person in Japan, or a white person in the middle of Africa. People are afraid that terrorism can happen here...and they are right to be afraid, especially with ol’ George raking the coals in the Middle East. But, people should not be afraid of homosexuals. Gay people are just like regular people, except they just happen to like others of the same sex. This doesn’t make them immoral, or child molesters, or monsters. Hell, I’d rather leave a child with a gay person over a priest any day of the year. Damn, there I go getting myself in trouble again.

So, here we stand...a nation divided...with one side easily preyed upon by their Iraqnophobia and homophobia, and the other side wondering who voted for this bonehead. I see both sides...and to be honest, I voted for neither Kerry nor Bush. I voted for the Green Party. I voted for them because they are one of only a few parties that actually support LGBT rights. It was my statement to both the Republicans and Democrats that they suck. Honestly, if I would have voted for Kerry, it would not have been a vote of support for him, but merely a vote against Bush. Don’t worry, my vote didn’t matter...simply because in California, there are an overabundant number of Democrats. I wouldn’t have voted for the Green Party had that not been the case.

But, I did vote. Although a mere squeak, I made my voice heard. I doubt anyone heard it over the fat lady singing.

Tell ya what, why don’t we just let the fat lady sit on George for a while and see how he likes it?

No comments: