Saturday, April 08, 2006

Don't spend it all in one place

My federal tax refund finally showed up in my bank account on Friday. My state refund came in the week before. I don't know where I'd be without those two since my bank account was gradually dwindling down to nothing. I have some mutual funds and stuff, but I really didn't want to cash them out to pay bills and stuff. The government now has three years (I believe) in which to audit me, and challenge my deduction claim of SRS. They've got two more years on my FFS. I didn't claim my breast augmentation.

My tax preparer really messed up the first time they sent me the tax forms to review. They left off the tax I paid to the State of California, so they calculated that I owed them over $2000. After calling them and having them fix the error, they sent revised forms to review. It ended up being over a $6000 error once things were fixed.

So, I recently passed the $30K mark on paying off my bills. Unfortunately, I still have a few more years to go. I'm right at half-way on paying off my 401k for FFS, and just past half-way on the SRS bill. The boobs are, of course, paid for. That means I have about another 2 years of debt to pay off on transition. Sure, I received some money back from the government, but I needed to refresh my bank account. Plus, I feel like splurging a little. I haven't purchased any new clothes at all lately (something that is really really hard to do) and my DVD player died over a year ago.

I've been watching DVD's either on my Mac or laptop. They don't look as sharp on my larger screen Mac, and the laptop is a little more portable to put in front of the couch but still has a fairly small screen. I finally finished The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants this morning. It's a very touching coming of age movie from a female perspective. I totally loved it...working my way thru a couple rounds of drying my eyes.

No comments: