Wednesday, November 29, 2006

As my world turns

OK, I'm a little behind on things...especially with a few posts I have sitting on 'draft' status until I can sit down for a little time and finish them.

Thanksgiving went fairly well. I sat next to a middle-aged couple on my flight into Oz and worked on my homework or napped. I was picked up by my dad, then spent a few days at my sister's place. Things were cordial with zero issues caused by me. Yay! In fact, I felt back in my old mediator position at times.

The turkey dinner was great, football was on here and there, and I spent a little time napping. The day after Thanksgiving, I did what I usually do not do...I went shopping. I hate shopping when it is packed.

My mom and I looked around at clothes since I'm pretty picky about what I wear, plus my size range is all over the place. I would say, typically, I am a 6 short on pants, and an 8-10 on the top. Yes, I'm top heavy...like many transgender women. If I were a 6 up top, that would totally rock...but alas, I try to deal with what I have.

I flew back to San Francisco on Saturday due to ticket prices. There was an empty seat between me and the older woman sitting next to the aisle. I simply worked on homework again, or spent time napping or staring out the window.

Earlier this week, though, I received an email from a friend about the soap "All My Children" introducing a transgender character. That seems pretty ground breaking, but you knew it had to happen at some point. I mean, they've done about everything else, right?

It looks to be a nice turn, though, to see a transgender male-to-female character played by a man. This gives the character plenty of room to grow in time, but alas, it probably won't involve any type of FFS or such...unless he (the actor) truly is transgender. From initial readings, it looks like the character is attracted to women...but it will be interesting to see if she develops something for some of the hot men on there...and if any of them develop something for her. Juicy!

On a different note, there was a nice article about transgender teachers I noticed today. It mentions that there are about 20 known teachers that have transitioned, with more on the way. I think the hard part of a teacher transitioning isn't dealing with the students...but dealing with their parents. Why are adults so fast to assume that their children are going to have a big issue with it? In fact, the children of today are fantastic...except, of course, when it comes to the whole bandwagon thing...and oh, that nasty thing called high school. Kids at that age don't realize how hurtful they can be when they are typically still playing.

That's one thing I've noticed while playing Warcraft. (Yes, I am one of the 7 million addicted to it. It's my first, and hopefully, last RPG.) A lot of the people playing it are men aged 13-25. Anything bad that happens ends up being called 'gay'. I started out with a small guild of friends, but once I reached the end-game stuff, realized I needed to join a larger guild for some of the activities. The guys love me, but I do jump on them sometimes when they say "that's gay". Then, of course, they usually do a 180. Ha ha ha!!!...the power of being a woman.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A size 6? Oh my God, what I would give. Alas, when you are 6 feet tall, the skeleton pretty much dictates the size.

As for the article on transgender teachers, thanks for putting that out there. I'm one of the ones that is on the way. The school board knows and was totally receptive though I did volunteer to transfer to a new school next year after having my FFS. We've still got a ways to go, but we're getting there.

Kara said...

Kelly...that's cool that you are a teacher. It has to be difficult to transition in that type of environment, but you are one of the ones changing the way the youth look at things. Hopefully you will be a very positive influence in their lives.

Alice...sigh...I know. Amber warned me too late.

"Oh no!?! You're playing Warcrack? That's the most addictive one of them all."

Ciara...hahaha...Southpark. I love how TV shows mocking American life are so popular abroad. Actually, it was a fairly amusing episode with the Warcraft characters...and, of course, it was pretty gross, too.

Anonymous said...

Happy holidaze!

(it's that time of the year!)

From mars....