Thursday, November 02, 2006

I put the brow back on

...but only for a day.

The company I work for decided to have their Halloween bash on Monday instead of Halloween. They sponsored a costume contest (that included family members) and a haunted house. I decided to venture out a bit, and volunteered to work the haunted house.

They put me at the end to scare people right when they thought they were finished. It was so cool standing behind the corner in the hallway light waiting for them to come out. I could here they say, "Ahhh...that was it, I guess it's over." If there was a group, I'd wait for the first person to come into the hall and turn the other direction, and then scare the second person or more. This usually got the first person as well. I got women, kids, and a ton of guys. So many people jump into the fetal position when scared, and ironically, begin to laugh uncontrollably afterward.

I bet you're wondering what scared them so much? (Hey, I'm not that ugly. A few years ago, a friend of mine bought a prosthetic from a company called ScreamTeam.com. He looked totally cool in it, and the prosthetic made him look so lifelike. So, I decided to buy one from them, too. Here's what I looked like after application and makeup. Pretty scary, huh?

As you'll notice, the prosthetic has a brow ridge. A few people thought I was a Klingon, but I was supposed to be a vampire/undead similar to those seen on Buffy or Angel. The weird thing, besides having that stuck to my face all day, was that I could see the brow ridge again. It was a little spooky, I'll admit. I guess going from having it to not having it was kinda cool, but then throwing it back up there for a day...I'm like, "Hey, what's with this thing blocking my upper peripheral vision?"

The instructions recommended using rubbing alcohol to take it off, but I only had nailpolish remover at home. Using acetone on skin is not such a fun thing to do, so I ran to the super-store to buy some rubbing alcohol. Yes, I was still wearing the mask. I got a few stares while I was shopping, but it was actually kinda funny. Kids would stare with this bewildering look as though they were curious, but yet, scared as well.

As I was walking out and crossing the frotage road, I hear, "excuse me, excuse me." I turn to see this guy pushing a cart with 2 kids in it motioning toward me. I walk over to him.

"I know this is crazy, but I find you very interesting. Here's my number...just take it. You don't have to call, but take it, please."

..and so, I took his number, smiled, then walked on to my car.

I'd love to know why he gave me his number, but seriously, isn't it a little weird giving your number away to a girl who has this hideous mask on, while you yourself are pushing around what appear to be your two kids? He wasn't that attractive, but yet, I'll admit, I'm curious as to why he gave me his number.

3 comments:

Jessica Lyn said...

Perhaps he's seen you before and recognized you even with the mask on. Or maybe he didn't know it was a mask and thought you needed help or something. At any rate, you looked awesome and scary.

Thanks for emailing me the other day. I know I really need to post more on my blog, but I've been so busy lately.

Anonymous said...

Maybe he's a facial feminization surgeon and thinks he can do something with that brow.
D.B.

Anonymous said...

maybe he thinks transexuals are monsters and you are a real monster.