Sunday, October 29, 2006

Size 13

I wear a size 9.5 in US women's shoes. My cousin, who's only like 13 and about my height, already wears a size 11 in women's. She's gonna be tall. I also feel sorry for her that she's going to have a hard time finding shoes.

After my game today, a number of us decided to have a little brunch in Noe Valley. The restaurant was right around the corner from the Cocoon House. Yes, it felt a little weird being right there with my teammates...but not too bad. I will admit, though, that Noe Valley holds a little magic for me. So does Scottsdale, Arizona. It's hard to describe, but both places bring back magical memories for me...and it's not so much the visual memories, but more along the lines of ambient memories of transformation. It's sorta like going back to visit the house or area you grew up in...especially if your family has already moved away.

So, anyway, a lot of us only know one another from the games. We start chatting and asking where we live, what we do for work, how old we are, what types of women we're into, who we're having sex with in our dreams (one gold star lesbian tells us she recently had a dream of banging George Cloney up the arse), and just bonding in general. The women I'm sitting next to is fairly tall...6'1" (185cm) to be precise. She says she likes her women to be taller than 5'4", preferably at least 5'7". She says she also wears size 13 shoes.

"I had a hard time finding shoes before the internet came along. All of the size 13 shoes I found early on were these transvestite boots."

So, not only do 6' transgender women have trouble finding women's shoes...but so do the genetic ones.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the big shoe problem. I get my shoe fix from Eddie Bauer (up to size 12) and Nordstroms (up to size 13). I myself wear a size 12 medium or an 11 wide. Last year we had a student teacher at my school and she was about 6'3 and had played volleyball in college. Of course she didn't know my situation so I just didn't know how to ask her where she got her shoes.

Anonymous said...

My shoe size comes in right under the wire. The advantage of being at the higher end of the size spectrum can have its advantages, however, namely less competition for your size.

I was once asked how high of a heel I wore, three inch, four, five, etc. In hindsight, it's less a matter of the heel height than the price: $400, $500, $600 ;-) Though, many of my good shoes tend to be 116mm range. Why is it an oxymoron to utter transsexual and fashionista in the same sentence? By the way, the San Jose Mercury News does have a fashion columnist, Donna Kato. So obviously, there must be a few label-conscious women in the south bay and Silicon Valley. I'm sure they don't all wear ballet flats.

Wonkette said...

I wonder if one's feet shrink while on female hormones? My shoes size has gotten smaller since my transition. It is now 9, when it used to be 10-10.5, which is about average for a then average guy, now a somewhat tall women (5' 9"). Fortunately, even though I have larger-than-average feet, the rest of my body has small bone structure. People are always telling me how tiny I am (105 lbs, size 4-6 dress).