Friday, October 27, 2006

Chatter

Softballs aren't all that soft. Sure, they're softer than baseballs...but that's like saying aluminum is soft because steel is hard.

I usually only play softball, at max, 2 days a week. I received a call from one of my teammates, though, who was looking for me to fill in on one of her teams. I said yes.

Because I have been trying to limit my activities a little due to the ankle not quite being back to normal, I've mainly been playing first base. A 5'5" right-handed first baseman is not your optimal choice, though, but I can still catch decent and can try to stretch out. I've had a few nice snags as well.

So, remember the guy who carried me off the field when I hurt my ankle? Well, he usually plays shortstop. In this game, though, he was playing second base.

An inning or two into the game, there was this humongous guy up to bat who just happened to be left-handed. That put our side as his power-side. I backed up. The second baseman was in the grassy area just outside the infield. When he hit the ball, you knew that it was moving fast. Luckily, it wasn't moving fast toward me, but toward the second baseman. Unfortunately, it caught a weird hop on the lip of the infield and caught our second baseman right in the groin. I was running toward first base at the time, and was just turning to take the throw when I heard his little yelp. It knocked him to the ground, but he still tried to make the throw. It wasn't in time.

He sat there for a little while, as the pain rippled away from his testicles. We asked if he was ok, but mainly got no response from him. Once he stood up, he decided to check to see if he was ok. The right fielder turned her head as he looked down his drawers. I jokingly asked him if he needed me to check if things were ok and asked why he wasn't wearing a cup. He said he didn't think he would need a cup at second, but that usually wore one at shortstop.

After the game was over, he asked me if my offer was still valid. I told him no. (hahahahah...he's such a flirt) Somehow, he then got on the subject of how it felt when one was hit in the balls. He described it as a pain that one didn't really feel at first, but then it spreads through the entire body.

I already knew this...but I didn't tell him that. I'd been 'racked' a few times in my life, and every time it felt horrible. The pain was just incredible...incapacitating...but yet, like he said, it wasn't something that hit you right away. It was this pain that, for me, built up in my stomach and made me feel really bad. It's such a weird response to being hit there...and yet, when I was accidentally kicked there earlier this year in a sporting activity, it was nowhere near the same feeling. Lucky me. One more benefit for them being gone.

OK, so later in the week, I went to one of my more regular games. It was playoff night and we were first scheduled to play the 4th seed since we were the 1st seed. Before the game started, I was chatting with two of my female teammates and Bob. Bob likes to talk about a lot of really juicy items. Somehow we got on the topic of sex. (Like that was really hard, huh?) I told Bob that I hadn't had sex in 10 months. Melissa asks me if I am dating E anymore, and I tell her I'm not. She then tells me she knows a guy at work who is looking for rebound sex.

"His rebound or my rebound?" I ask.

"His rebound."

We chatted a little more about the topic. I really couldn't see myself having a relationship with any friend of a friend, especially with my disclosure. Sure, one might say, "Oh Kara, just get some and don't worry about it...especially if you'll never see the guy again." Yeah yeah...I know.

The other woman who is in our conversation, then perks up about one of her coworkers.

"We just got this new woman at work. We're chatting, then she tells me that she smokes. She says something about a lot of people frowning on anyone that smokes...especially in California. She then says, 'Oh, and I used to be a dude.' "

Whoa!

"Was this recent?" I ask.

"Yeah, like two days ago."

My teammates then discuss how she started looking closer at her and trying to figure out if she was really indeed transgender. My teammate thinks she is joking since she can't tell, and asks us why anyone would joke about that...especially when she barely knew her new coworker.

My other teammate then tells us about a research professor that works on her campus who is transgender. I know who she is talking about, but I've never met him. She says that he looks just like a guy, but he's kinda short and has this weird voice. I made a few comments during both conversations, but I will admit, I get a touch nervous when the transgender topic pops up. I wonder if they know and are trying to find a way to breach the subject with me...that they are cool with it and are just curious...but it's so hard to simply guess that. I'm betting they have no idea that I am, but one never knows.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This story reminds me of one of those things that only high school kids seem to do. When I was something like a junior in high school, my friends and I would play basketball with a twist. Basically, the rule of the game was whenever someone had the ball, they were free game down there. You could hit them in the crotch as hard as you could and maybe, just maybe it was me expressing my hatred of that part of my body.

Silly boys. I can't believe I used to be one.