Thursday, October 05, 2006

Tranny Spotting

I saw a new guy in our cafeteria the other day. I spotted him sitting at one of the tables talking with a bunch of guys. As soon as I saw him, my T-dar went off. He had longer hair, a fairly clean face, and was wearing a sweatshirt/hoodie.

Kara, fool, there are plenty of guys with longer hair, a clean face, and that like to wear hooded sweatshirts.

OK, yeah, there are. So, I went on with my business. It's not like I was going to walk up to him and say, "Hey...are you a tranny?" or "Hey, do you know who I am?"

A few days ago, I noticed him walking around in the area near my cubicle. Again, the same look, and the same subsequent dinging of my T-dar. (Remind me to turn that off sometime.)

Today, I overheard him talking with some other coworkers. From what I can tell, he's in software engineering.

ding ding ding!!!

As I stood at the fax machine semi-watching that my fax went thru, I also noticed a small transition of hair below his jawline to no hair above his jawline.

Kara, not all guys have hair on their face...and it grows in different places for different people.

True...but so many things are pointing to him being T. Most people wouldn't notice them, but for me, I know what to look for. OK, seriously, he probably isn't T...but he definitely shows some indicators that he could be. If he does come out, though, I'll be there lending a hand if needed.

9 comments:

Anne Barlow said...

I think in the context of Kara's friends that she spotted the correlation.

Kara said...

hahahahahaha

Hey Alice, you haven't seen a ton of T's in software and related fields? Hmmm...if you exclude all of the 'working girls', I think at least 1/2 of the T's I've ever met are in software or related fields.

Trust me, there is a high correlation...that or I hang out with too many nerds. Since I am one, though, I really don't mind.

Anne Barlow said...

Do you actually use the word 'Tranny'????

Landon Shaw said...

Kara,

You said that you would reach out and help them, which I think is great. How about some long distance help. I have so many questions. I did email you, maybe you didn't get it. My blog can be found at www.bailey14.blogspot.com. I am a t-girl beginning my transition and have so many questions. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Yea, maybe he was a T. But what do you do even if he is? Does he want you to know? Doesn't he also want a normal life, not to be outed? I've run into many T people in life. I treat them as any other person would want to be treated... a normal member of our society. Some have recognized me as well. The most contact has come in a smile or wink of acknowledgemtn. I feel that is best.

Cind Jones
http://cindianna-jones.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

tara,
it's me. No, I am not in the process mor do i have any desire to change my gender. Nothing wrong with that.

oh, the internal grapevine works well or what?

Kara said...

Do I use the word 'tranny'...hmmm...not usually, but I'm not afraid to use it. I usually use the all encompassing term of 'T'..as "he's T, she's T, wouldn't you like to be a T, too?

Cindi...you're absolutely right. Unfortunately, the T-dar does go off, though. I mean, I have no bias if someone is T or not. And seriously...who knows if he is T or not. I just saw him a few minutes ago, and it looks like he cut off most of his hair. It's a lot shorter now, but still has a little length to it. I also found out that his dad works here, too...and that he is someone I have worked with in the past.

...and Bailey...sorry...I haven't been answering that many emails lately. Yes, I'm a total slacker. The best thing I can say is try to find a good T forum to chat with people.

Anonymous said...

Anne alluded to an interesting point. Tranny in many communities has a negative connotation much akin to the n word used as a derogatory term for individuals from the black community. I'm personally apposed to the use of the word, but there are plenty of TS's that are either naieve of its derogatory connotation, don't believe it is derogatory, or are trying to reclaim the term. I would suspect that Kara falls into one of the latter categories.

Anonymous said...

Being transexual myself I lean towards a small nod of acknowledgment at most.

I live full time as a woman and have for over 5 years. If someone came up to me and asked I would be both mortified and offended and would probably answer "No" or "How dare you?"

~A~