Thursday, April 17, 2008

The L Word

I'm about 4 or 5 years behind, but I finally watched my first L Word: Season 1 episodes. I'm on Netflix and have the first season intermixed with my regular dose of movies. The first disc included the first four episodes...including the initial pilot.

I liked it. I think it's interesting watching the show after having numerous lesbian friends the past 3 years. Perhaps it is best to experience some of the community before actually watching the show so that I'm not tainted with the drama infested venue we call television...sorta like knowing Donna Rose before actually reading her book. (I'm glad I read her book after meeting her...to see that she somehow made it through transition, despite all of what she went through in getting there.)

The initial dynamics of the show are interesting....a couple in turmoil trying to have a baby; a young woman trying to figure out if she likes women or men; the older sensual woman trying to lure the young woman away from men; the athletic woman still afraid to be out as a lesbian because it will affect her public image; the goofy writer who is bisexual because she has this love-hate relationship with women; and the sexaholic lesbian dyke who seems to have a different girl every hour. There were a few other dynamics going on, as well, but those were the main ones I saw. I know they mix in an FTM later on, so that should be pretty interesting to watch develop.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

I heart Shane!

On a different note, any idea why your post show up like a week after you post them? Doesn't matter which computer I'm using or how many times I empty the cache, it'l go weeks without updating and then all of a sudden I see a series of new posts.

For example, I checked your site last night (Sunday) and the last post was about phantom genitalia. Today it's the L Word. Just wondering if it's just me?

Kara said...

It's not you, it's me.

I often times start a post and don't quite have enough time to either finish it or polish it to the way I want it to sound...so, I usually save it as a draft. I will come back later and either finish it up or polish it to the way I want it to sound.

If I am traveling, I will often times write the full post and then load it up to Blogger when I return.

Today's Craig Ferguson entry was written and posted today, though, so that should show as current.

Kelly said...

And here I thought my beloved iMac was acting up on me. Thanks Kara, have a great night.

Rebecca L said...

We all know that Macs don't make mistakes... :)

Rebecca L said...

Oh...about The L Word. OMG, I love that show! Well, the first two seasons are great, the third is OK, and I've only seen the season premiere of the fourth. I need to catch up. Maybe I'll add the box sets of season 4 and 5 to my collection when I get back to the US...or I can just get the shows here in Kabul. Anyway, I find it ironic that Leisha Haley (Alice) is portrayed as a "dirty bisexual" on the show, but in fact she's the only bonafide lesbian in the whole cast. Not sure about Shane, though.

Unknown said...

If the girl playing Shane isn't a "bona fide lesbian", then she's a much better actress then I gave her credit for(and for the record I think she's a fantastic actress). She's hands down my favorite character - seemingly simple, but incredibly complex and caring. I need to get season 3.