Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Oprah

I'm sure a lot of people have heard the buzz by now with the pregnant transgender man. He'll be on Oprah this Thursday in what I believe is his first public appearance on this topic.

I have to admit, I'm not the biggest Oprah fan, but I hope she does OK with it. They obviously paid big bucks for the story...AND for him and his family to keep quiet on it until the premiere appearance. Sure, the story is out there, but you haven't seen any interviews with him, have you?

Speaking of Oprah and my not being a big fan, I thought about those talk show hosts that I had seen that did OK with transgender topics...outside of the sensationalism of the actual program. If I had to rate them, I'd say:

1. Montell Williams
2. John Walsh
3. Greg Behrendt
4. Jerry Springer
5. Oprah Winfrey
6. Maury Povich

Yes, I actually have Jerry Springer above Oprah. That may seem so wrong to so many people, but if you listen to Jerry do his little monologue after many transgender related programs, he talks a lot about equality and fairness for everyone, and how that people can be "born in the wrong bodies". Montell and John Walsh are definitely above the rest, and Greg has actually done a fairly decent job...albeit he is a comedian. Maury comes across as being fairly positive, but he seems to push the attractiveness of T's more than anything else. I've never seen Rosie or Ellen talk about T stuff, but since both of them are lesbians, I would only assume they would be near the top. There is still a lot of T-misinformation in the LGB community, though, so it's just an assumption.

Do I think any of these guys have the hots for T's, though? Maybe...and I'll just leave it at that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kara! Long time reader here who is beginning her path to womanhood after years of anxiety and frustration...

I just want to point out Tyra Banks as one of the most TS-friendly host. In the past, she has done at least 3 TV shows on our community and all of them were really respectful (Trantasia girls, America's next TS supermodel, and more recently the show on a very pretty girl named Elaina (sp?)).

Regards,
Arianne

Rebecca L said...

I'll second the comment about Tyra. The show she did on Alaina was well done - from what I could see of it on YouTube with my craptastic Afghani-Singaporean internet connection...

Becca

(BTW, I can't wait till July when I can meet up with you and Char!)