Monday, May 19, 2008

What happened to you?

The question of the day is brought to you by Motrin.

This was my view for a bit of today. As you can see, my knee is elevated and immobilized in the immobilizer.

"So, what happened to you?"

It was a common question, and I almost got tired of answering it, but when people see you hobbling around in this big contraption, they get really, really curious.

I am the Immobilizer. Resistance is futile. You will be immobilized!!!

Well, we had our first game of the season on Saturday, and unfortunately, my knee did something it wasn't supposed to do about a minute in. Yeah, just one minute into the fresh season, and I'm down for the count. KO. Call Mike Tyson, we have a new record...just don't let him bite my ear off.

By mid-day, I could see the questions coming about a mile ahead of time. I joked with one guy that I was going to start telling people I had wrestled with a lion (which was true in a sense), and if they thought I was in bad shape, they should check out the lion. Actually, the mascot of the team we played was a lion, so, in essence, I did tangle with a big cat.

At least I had a few people that were quite original with their comments.

"That looks like it hurts."

"Ouch."

"You look really casual today."

"You're getting too old to do that stuff."

Yeah, I know...I'm getting old. The body definitely can't do stuff it used to do, but I sure hope it can recover fairly soon. The ER doctor diagnosed me with a strained MCL yesterday morning. I'm headed to the orthopedics tomorrow for them to further evaluate me. The ER doctor said it was difficult to get a full prognosis with the pain I was still experiencing, but he didn't see too much give in one knee compared to the other. I guess I'll see how tomorrow goes, and hope it is just a strain. Either way, from what I saw online, surgery is usually not needed to repair an MCL.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Aw, poor Kara - I'm so sorry to hear about it. I hope you wont need the immobilizer for too much longer, and that the pain isn't too uncomfortable (cause it does look like it hurts pretty bad). Take care of yourself!

~ Char

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

shouldn't you have painted toenails?

Kara said...

Bah...I knew someone would point out my unpainted toenails. Actually, I rarely paint my nails. I have this weird claustrophobia if I paint my fingernails, and I just never get around to painting my toenails. Plus, I just started wearing my sandals last week when it got so hot...now the temperatures are back down.

Thanks Charlotte...sports injuries are such a pain because half of it is just dealing with not being able to play...especially when you see your teammates out there having fun.

Jessica Lyn said...

I seem to remember you getting hurt last season too... (yep, I just searched your blog, although I think it was 2 seasons ago).

http://roadtovenus.blogspot.com/2006/09/carried-away.html

So did the coach carry you away this time too? Do you plan on getting hurt every season? What can we exspect from you next year?

BTW your toes look nice, even without nail polish.