Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Hanging loose

My dad has a conference in Hawaii this week, so I met him and my mom out here for a few days. I flew out Sunday from San Francisco and caught this incredible sunrise from the airport terminal.

The plan was for my dad to do his conference stuff during the day while my mom and I chilled. She's not able to do too much since she has little energy after all of the treatments lately.

Since my dad is the military man, we visited the Pearl Harbor memorial Sunday afternoon before catching this even more remarkable sunset at the hotel.

I've gotten up early to run lately, which has been really refreshing, but obviously makes me sore since I am a bit out of shape compared to my previous levels of fitness. The temperature has been really moderate and the humidity is fairly tame, except when talking about how bad my hair has had to fight it. One thing I have noticed during my runs, though, is how much men stare at my breasts. Typically I run in the evening where there are few people, but here in Hawaii there are a lot of people up and down Waikiki Beach in the morning.

Today, I tried my hand at surfing...for the first time ever. (I'll post a photo later.) I actually met a number of people today...while surfing and while chilling at a luau tonight. There were two guys from Boston in the water taking surf lessons in my same group, and there were two guys and two girls in the Australian Navy there tonight. One of the Australian girls was actually named Kara, but said it the other way. It's amazing how easy it is to meet new people in touristy areas compared to just being at home where I literally know none of my neighbors.

Had I been by myself or with a friend, we probably could have hung out with either group, but since I was with my mom, I spent a lot of quality time with her and my dad. I'll just have to remember to grab a friend once in a while and take a vacation.

OK, off to bed...I need to get up early for a run.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kara
I have found from my travels that people seem to be more open to each other when you travel . Ihave found that when you travel with a friend that it makes it much easier to hook up