Monday, September 13, 2004

Hey Doc, it hurts when I’m a man

Last night I had a dream that it was the night before SRS and I was talking with the doctor about to perform the operation...except it wasn’t Dr. Meltzer. Nope. It was Al Gore. Yep, former Vice President Al Gore. Except, well, he was a doctor...and I guess, well, that would make him Dr. Gore. I don’t know if it was my subconscious trying to be funny or what, but that’s probably not the best name for a doctor to have.

I also interviewed a potential new person for our group. Yep, despite the “layoffs” that happen here and there, we’re still hiring. So, using my therapist’s recommendation, I asked him near the end of the interview, “We have a transgender person working here...do you think you’ll be OK working with a person like that?”

He says, “Oh yeah, I haven’t got a problem. You know that transgender kid that was killed in Newark? EDDIE was a neighbor of mine. HE was gay from the get go. I never had a problem with HIM. So, yeah, I would be OK.”

Although he meant well, he’s like a lot of other people that just don’t get it. Oh, don’t worry, I won’t let the male name and pronouns prevent me from choosing him, but I don’t think he was the right fit for our group based on his experience.

One of the funny things, though, is he asked, “Would I be working with you?” with a sorta half puppy-dog-look, half-”oh yeah”-look. He isn’t the first that’s asked me that. Engineers! *sigh*

No comments: