Sunday, September 12, 2004

Motivation

Time to do a little catching up.

Men are quite funny creatures. With the right motivation, they are almost dangerous. A week or two ago, I finally got around to getting a new phone. My current phone company threw a nice little incentive at me, so I figured it was time to upgrade. So, I’m in their store and the dude helping me is doing everything he can to get me the best deal. He’s asking me where I work and checking for any corporate deals. Then he’s asking me for the employer of my relatives and friends, and even diverging to another arm of the US military service in order to find something. I finally tell him that I don’t want him to get me or himself in trouble, and just go with no corporate deal. As he’s lining me up with the basic phone, he asks me if I want the next version up. I ask him how much more it is, and he says, “Eh, I’ll throw it in for free.” Cool. Now I have no idea if he does that for everyone, or only for the girls. Either way, it rocked.

The army of Kate’s

Another one of those Kate’s was in town visiting Dr. O, and a few of us from the forum decided to get together for dinner and conversation with the visiting friend. We met at a nice little restaurant in Noe Valley called Firefly. Rachel #5 suggested it, and it turned out to be a great choice. I’m not big on fish, but the Grilled Wild Salmon Filet with Corny Pearl Pasta, Sauteed Chard Chanterelle Mushrooms and Sauce Beurre Blanc was excellent. I even decided to enjoy dessert with the Warm Flourless Chocolate Cake With Vanilla Ice Cream and Chocolate Sauce. It was all exquisite, and although it was a bit pricey, it was definitely worth it.

You still work here?

As I was walking across campus on Thursday with my sun glasses on and just striding back to my desk, I see one of the guys from the noon-time sports walking towards me across the bridge. He only makes it out once in a while at noon, sorta like me the past year or so. As we approach one another, I kiddingly ask, “You still work here?” in reference to some of the latest “layoffs.” He stops and kinda stands there dumbfounded. I think I entertain him for a few more seconds until he realizes who I am. You know, I keep forgetting who I’ve been reintroduced to, and who I haven’t. At that point though, he starts smiling and saying, “amazing” a few times. He then says that he didn’t know who I was, and then when I asked him if he still worked here, he thought he would just play along for a little while. When I got back to my desk, I found he’d already left me a message apologizing for his conduct. I told him there was no need to apologize as he was reacting in a very positive manner.

Motivation, again

As I was doing a little grocery shopping yesterday, I picked up a few items I needed for breakfast the following morning. As I’m checking out, the guy is doing everything he can to find the special deal on the brand of cereal I’ve chosen. I finally have to tell the guy that there was no special even though he continues to think that it’s two for one.

Are you ready for some football?

Yep, it’s football season again. I have two fantasy football teams this year...one with my family and friends, and the other through my old coworkers that we started up in ‘95. Getting thru the draft (I called in) was a little unbearable as numerous old coworkers were still calling me by my old name as well as using male pronouns. Luckily, I wasn’t able to hear it most of the time.

No comments: