Sunday, September 19, 2004

Weathering the Times

My organizational group at work had a sectional picnic/BBQ on Friday, so I was only at work for a couple of hours...probably more than a lot of them, though. Only a few of my group actually knew me before going full time, so most of the people only know me as Kara. The few that did know me "before" are pretty cool, so it was a total non-issue with the group. Since our smaller group has now been moved to more of an engineering group, the larger group is primarily male. I’ve worked with some of them lately trying to solve some major problems, so I have been able to get to know them a little. I have no idea if they know or not, and if they do know, I don’t know if they care or not. The most important thing, though, is that I really can’t do anything anyway, so why even worry about all of it?

I did take off late into the afternoon, though, to have my roots straightened to match the rest of my hair. (If only I could have my sexuality straightened out as well.) This hair straightening stuff though is going to be too expensive for me to maintain. Besides, it’s not really fully straightening it, but more like taking the super frizz curl out of it. I guess I need to come up with another option sometime over the next 5 months.

Amber called while I was sitting in the chair (almost falling asleep at some times), and since I was near where she was shopping at the time I finished, we hung out for a while as she shopped for a gift, as well as some new clothes. She’s so tiny (especially for being a T), that she can wear these totally awesome little outfits. I’d call her a word that starts with a B and rhymes with “itch,” but she’s too nice a person to do that to.

Last night was Hayward’s Pride. It was one block long. In fact, it probably could have been less than that if things were a little more crowded together. I was there with the other TGSF outreach chair to assist in handing out information. Unfortunately, the high pressure system we had over the Bay Area moved out and was replaced by a low pressure system that ushered in coastal winds and lower temperatures, almost making it feel like winter. (Yup, I’m a weather nerd...and I heard, “OK, Miss Weathergirl” a few times.)

Anyway, there were a few of the usuals, as well as one girl who is fairly young (in the MTF sense of the word) and just starting out on transition. I couldn’t imagine being back in that type of situation, but at least she has the opportunity to talk to a few others around her age. I didn’t really have anyone around my age when I first started out...well, no one that I had access to talk to, but I did find some over time. And now, with different transgender and transsexual forums all around the internet, one can actually find a variety of friends with some of the same interests.

No comments: