Thursday, May 04, 2006

I'm still here

OK, sorry, I haven't posted in awhile. I've been...well...busy. Combined with not having too much to talk about, I haven't written in a bit. I've also put in a little traveling lately, so my sleep schedule has not been that great. Luckily, class ends in a few weeks, so that will free up a bit more time for me.

Hmm...ok, so this will probably be just a hodge-podge of random stuff.

I skipped dilating a couple of weeks ago, and then picked up where I left off a week later. As I was dilating, though, I noticed a bit of clear blood-like stuff on the end of the dilator when I pulled it out and after I got up off the pad. Yuck!!! I've had friends...and friends of friends...that have had issues with bleeding during sex or dilation, and that just does not sound like fun. Note to self: try to dilate more often.

I attended the Billy DeFrank Center's 25th Anniversary Gala this past Saturday night. I met Aunty Anita for the first time (see picture), and hung out with a few friends at one of the tables. They served decent food, gave away a few awards, covered the last 25 years of the LGBT center for the South Bay, and then had Scott Capurro for their evening entertainment.

Let me start out by saying that the Billy DeFrank Center has since issued an apology for Scott's comments and the direction he took during his comedy routine. I mean, he told some very funny jokes, but at times he totally sucked. He bashed the organizer's on-stage decorations, he talked a lot about his own sex life including his desire to have sex with Jesus (that a half naked guy nailed to a cross made him gay during Catholic school...which I believe he was kidding about), that having had sex with a little person was like having sex with a child...but legal, and his own desire to have a big black man treat him basically like a submissive. It was a little...ok...a lot over the edge at times...and with a relatively mixed crowd of gay men, lesbians, and bi and straight people, it just did not fit well with the audience. (If you clicked on the link above to his website, you will kinda get the gist of this via the animation of one stick figure giving another stick figure a blow job.) At times, Scott knew that he was across the line, but kept going back. As he was wrapping up, and Aejaie Sellers, the Executive Director of the Billy DeFrank Center, came on stage to close out the evening, the two of them started conversing. Scott wondered if she was a lesbian since he had overheard some lesbians wondering if she was basically available. Aejaie then points out her boyfriend. Scott pushed for why she was there, and Aejaie pointed out that she is a transsexual woman...and which point Scott becomes totally enthralled and starts asking her personal questions that probably should not have been asked on stage. I think what Scott lacked was just a general respect for some of the topics he touched on.

I've heard Scott before on the Alice morning show. When they started talking about the reaction to Scott yesterday morning, how the Billy DeFrank Center flew him in from London for their celebration, and the apology they issued following his performance, I decided to call in. I basically gave the same review above. Even Sarah, the co-host of the show, mentioned that Scott tends to keep pushing and pushing when things start going sour. They even played 'whant-whant-whaaaa' sound effects as I spoke to them about the evening.

Was Scott funny? At certain times, yes, very much so....BUT, he crossed the line numerous times and just wasn't funny at those times, but simply crude.

Otherwise, though, I had a good time. I bought a few dresses the night before the event, so I've got a few new outfits for all of the upcoming events.

Monday and Tuesday, I was in Maine. Anytime someone asked where I was, and I answered Maine, everyone seemed to think I was there for pleasure...but in actuality, I was simply there for business. It took a whole freaking day just to get there. We routed through DC on our way, with one of the local US senators on the same flight as us. The three hour time difference is killer, and the five and a half hour flights really blow...so, I took off a little early from work yesterday afternoon.

Now, though, I'm back. My next travel will be for pleasure...sorta, as I visit my mom for Mom's Day. She still has one more chemo session to go, with rounds of radiation to follow. It will definitely be nice to see her again.

No comments: